ScubaLady
Vintage Diver
First Name: Becky

Grand Cayman

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 pm

ScubaLady is cruising at 30,000+ feet with a pair of double hose regulators in the cargo hold for a week of diving in Grand Cayman. The Phoenix will be my buddy this week and allows me dive the vintage DH with confidence alongside a group of modern divers. I am pretty psych'd to be out here on my "vintage DH-own" with my handy tool kit and reliable (Bryan-blessed) gear. This community is wonderful and supportive; allowing me to experience some incredible diving gear in great locations.

The only bummer is that I was, once again, overweighted and left the new-to-me Nemrod fins at home. I have been so anxious to dive those fins!!

The irony (and special sweetness) is that it looks like Ginnie Springs in January will be my first opportunity to dive full vintage (including my Nemrod fins) 'cause I can take as much as I can stuff in my SUV. :) :) :lol: :lol:

No flashing "overweight" LED for me then!! Wish you were all here!!
Vintage Diving...the fun never gets old.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: Grand Cayman

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Enjoy your trip and especially the diving!

Please keep us posted on your adventures. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 pm

ScubaLady wrote:ScubaLady is cruising at 30,000+ feet with a pair of double houses in the cargo hold for a week of diving in Grand Cayman.

Wow! She took 2 houses with her. Must a been a big jet! LOL

Have a great time and bring me back a rum cake!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

JES
Plank Owner

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:31 am

kgehring wrote:
ScubaLady wrote:ScubaLady is cruising at 30,000+ feet with a pair of double houses in the cargo hold for a week of diving in Grand Cayman.

Wow! She took 2 houses with her. Must a been a big jet! LOL

Have a great time and bring me back a rum cake!

That is funny! Great eye Karl. :lol:

(For the record, the quote remains original and unedited, but I did correct Scubalady's original post after the fact for her.) :wink:
NAVED Master Diver #108

ScubaLady
Vintage Diver

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am

Leave it to Karl to spot my errors. Which is why I am glad he's on my side when it comes to dressing ScubaLady in vintage gear. I would certainly mix-up my time periods and make a faux pas.

I only did four dives today. We did a 100' dive on Eagle's Nest this morning. Saw a turtle and peeked over the wall into the 6,000 foot abyss. One of my mates was a new diver from Long Island. He was really cute and nearly stole my heart. Michael was 12 years old and that was his first dive after getting certified (Michael stayed at less than 60').

Next we went to dive the wreck of the Balboa. Extremely nice dive. A few swim thrus on the wreck. But the coral swim thrus, were tremendously fun. Some I could barely get through without banging my tank. I am anxious to find some more swim throughs like the ones we did today. I need a buddy with a video camera along. :lol: :lol:

This afternoon we did a shore dive to the wall just beyond Sunset House. Went about 78' and saw a fabulous Eagle Ray. Then we went to the landing craft that is just past the mermaid and I spotted a lionfish when penetrating the wreck.

Finally, tonight, we did another shore dive. I found a really big crab and an octopus with a body about the size of a dinner plate. I couldn't get him back out when my dive buddy arrived with his camera. But, I won't forget him. Really, really neat!!

Wrapped up the dive by finding a nurse shark under a rock. One the guys I am diving with thought I was going to climb under the rock with her. If I could have, I would have. :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow morning around 6:00am I am going to do a pre-dawn dive with a local girl that I met at the dive shop. Since pre-dawn dives are my favorite, I am sure I will really enjoy that as well.

Will post more later. I have found the best wi-fi connection is in the bar. Just in case you ever visit here.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for the dive report Scubalady. The diving there sounds pretty awesome! I dove my Phoenix yesterday at the Pearl Harbor Day dive up in Door county Wisconsin. Just a tad cooler though. Water temp was 33 degree's. I had forgotten just how smooth my Phoenix is. I've been diving single stage regs most of the year, like the Faux 50 Fathom, JetAir and DivAir. Keep the reports coming. Wish I could join you video camera in hand! :mrgreen:

Jim

JES
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Thank you for the update. It sounds like you're having a great time!

What Company are you diving with?
NAVED Master Diver #108

ScubaLady
Vintage Diver

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 am

We are staying at Sunset House.

On Monday at 6:15am, the local gal and I took off on our pre-dawn dive. We went out via the sea pool as the surge was strong. We wanted to go to the wall, so we decided to surface swim out to the wall to maximize our time on the wall. Unfortunately, she took off before I could talk to her about me surface swimming out with the double hose. In Tennessee, I surface swam out to the Crusher Hose (I mean, House) on my back with my air off and Rob turned it on when I arrived at the buoy. For our pre-dawn dive, I got about three quarters of the way out on my belly (vs. my back which I prefer) and descended. I really need some good advice from the pros at VDH on the best ways to surface swim in the ocean in varying types of surge with the double hose.

The pre-dawn dive was fantastic as expected. I saw three lionfish and two sea turtles. After dawn, I spotted a pod of six dolphin-like fish off in the distance. I was able to go 108’ on the wall and the beauty was incredible. I really, really love diving. My roommate was on shore keeping an eye out for us and praying for our safety. As soon as the dawn arrived, she noticed four cruise ships coming in…one very close to where we were diving. I never noticed it, but that would have been cool to look up and see the silhouette of the cruise ship in the water. Probably means the dolphin-like fish may have actually been dolphins.

At 7am the dive masters arrived and closed shore diving. Needless to say, they were not too happy to hear that two of us were in the water. I got a couple of stern looks when we got back.

We did two morning boat dives. They shuttled us to the leeward side of the island and our first dive site was Cayman Crossing. The dive was nice and we found four swim throughs to enjoy. Because I am falling in love with swim throughs, I asked the boat captain to take us to sites that would offer a lot of them. Our second boat dive was a site called Laura’s Reef. I had spent time chatting with the dive master, Andy from Cambridge, during the surface interval; so, when we were preparing to enter the water, he told me to stick close and he’d show me some great swim throughs. He did not disappoint!!

Immediately upon descending he took me into a black abyss; could not see a thing!! My dive buddy aborted and swam over the reef head to meet me on the other side. After entering the swim through, we were overcome with darkness. Suddenly, light from the other side’s opening started to appear. Very, very cool. All together, we did a couple of dozen swim throughs on that dive site. We saw two giant lobsters and a huge crab hiding in one of the swim throughs. The good swim throughs are like iMax theatre; a full 3D experience…life on every side of you!! Needless to say, I have earned the nickname “Queen of the Swim Throughs” for my ability to find them and my love of swimming through them. I love to try the very tiniest of them to see if I can make it. I only had two that required me to abort and back out. Those experiences were very good as well. I like it when I get into challenging situations that make me stop, think and act with a clear mind.

Since shore diving was closed and we couldn’t get any good information on other diving options from the dive masters, we went to town for lunch and to hit the grocery store for fruit, energy bars and Starburst. We walked and shopped our way back to Sunset House. Found a dive shop that had vintage gear. The clerk was nervous as I asked if I could look at the label of a double hose on display (until I told her I dived one those beauties). It was a Mistral with a diamond label. I will try to return and take a picture of it before the week is out.

By dinner, my dive buddies were once again laughing at me (I am glad that I provide such entertainment for everyone :lol: :lol: ) Georgetown is full of great dress shops. I love to dive hard all day and then dress for dinner. Being in the Caribbean , I definitely had more options for island dresses then at home. They are now telling stories of how I left a wake of naked mannequins in my path of buying. Every girl diver needs six new island dresses, don’t you think? :D :D

Today, we have two boat dives and Sting Ray City on the schedule. We had to abort our pre-dawn dive. I had talked a new shipmate from Canada into going out with me this morning, but it is all roped off. We have rescheduled for Thursday morning. Say a little prayer for calmer seas.

I love how the double hose is such a conversation started. Bryan and Luis your ears should be burning because I tell everyone how amazing my gear is thanks to the two of you. The photographers are especially interested when they see how close I can get to the marine life without scaring them off. I have been trying to do that at least once on every dive. I try to see exactly how close I can get and compare it mentally to my experiences with modern gear.

The double hose definitely wins.

I love my vintage diving experiences and thank everyone on VDH for their continued support and knowledge sharing. You are the very best!!

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 am

Sounds like a blast! Did you get in trouble for 108'? They have a 100 ft. limit in Cayman.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

JES
Plank Owner

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 am

kgehring wrote:Sounds like a blast! Did you get in trouble for 108'? They have a 100 ft. limit in Cayman.
When did this start? I did a dive to 110' when I was there and the guide actually took us there.
NAVED Master Diver #108

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm

When I was there in 2007 and 2009 we were told by the DM that 100' was max. On a boat dive the DM would hang out along the wall at 95ish feet and turn you away if you wanted to go deeper. Seeing as how scubalady was doing a shore dive without a DM, who is to know how deep she went?

Sunset House is one of my favorite places to stay. If the western side is rough as she is experiencing, they take you to the leeward side. You will never miss a day of diving except during a hurricane. The first week of Dec is a great time to go as the prices are still at summer rates.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLady
Vintage Diver

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 pm

No troubles. They do have the 100' limit on Cayman, but The SCUBA police will never catch me. I swim too fast. I've done three dives between 100' and 110' and I'm diving enriched air, so my computer will fuss if I go past 110 feet.

We did Hole in the Wall this morning. Absolutely great site. I want to dive that with double tanks and no SCUBA police in sight. One guy dropped a light and went to 134' to pick it up. He was on air. Saw five lion fish and a goliath grouper on that dive site.

Next we did Bullwinkle East. The swim thrus were great and I spent time in a school of about twenty tarpon. They just let me hang with them. One was dragging a fishing line and on the second try I was able to get it trimmed to his body length.

The dive masters are teaching me to fish out the mooring line and tie up the boat, so I am having a blast on all fronts. But I will be glad to dive with vintage buddies soon.

We are off to Sting Ray City in 30 minutes. The surge is getting worse, so my night dive is probably a wash. They have agreed to take us out for afternoon boat dives if the weather doesn't improve so they can open shore diving.

ScubaLady
Vintage Diver

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

We did stingray city yesterday afternoon.. Just when I think things can't possibly get better, they do. The current was just one of our challenges. Here we are hanging out with the stingrays having a blast and a 4' moray eel with cataracts (so he was probably blind) comes swimming into our group. Now, we are no where near a reef. We are just hanging out in 11' of water with a sandy bottom. I had my back to him and I hear the dive master trying to get our attention. I turn around and this baby is trying to climb in my B.C. (one of my buddies thinks he caught my reaction on video..he said it was hilarious). The dive master is telling us to tuck our hands into our bodies and under our elbows, so I did and just maneuvered away. I had my video going, so I got the ensuing chaos recorded. Several people started to panic, the dive master was doing his best to get it headed back out to sea. I have great video of the moray going right after the dive master's crotch and he back pedaling just as quick as he can.

We've signed up to go back on Friday and I am pretty psyc'd. I am starting to get a real interest in boating and their boat has twin diesel John Deere engines. The guys are going to open the engine compartment and let me take a peek. Pretty exciting. They let me pilot her back. If anyone knows where I can lease a small (say 40') live aboard for a week in a decent diving location, let me know. I don't want to go on a live aboard, but want the full piloting, mooring, anchoring experience for myself and a few buddies.

The winds and seas are calmer this morning. Here's hoping shore diving reopens today.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Ah the Caymans. Never a dull moment or dive. I agree with Allan. Sunset House is a great stay. Great reports. Keep them coming. 8)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Ah the Caymans. Never a dull moment or dive. I agree with Allan. Sunset House is a great stay. Great reports. Keep them coming. 8)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”