Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut #18 wing......Your opinion needed

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:15 pm

This is a sample piece. 100% made in the US. 18# lift. (it might look a bit like one from XXXX brand :wink: ) What should it retail to you guys for ?? Free aint happening so please be realistic. The few #18lb wings I see around the net go for $350.00 or more. Any and all feedback is appreciated as it helps me decided if I jump off in the deep end and order some or run away like my hair is on fire.......
20170608_115022.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Argonaut #18 wing......Your opinion needed

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I have the brand named one and I love it. I think I paid the full $400 for it. This 18# is small enough and stiff enough that it doesn't flap around when its empty. Seems more streamlined in that sense. I have used it with the full octo/BCD equipped Argonaut and auto-inflation. But I've also used it with nothing but a Voit 50 Fathom and inflated it orally. Very nice, very comfortable.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I have the "extreme" version of that one. I buy most of my tech wings from DGX. Their singles wings are mostly around 200 bucks. I know that is steeply cheap, but I do know many people who use them. Up here in the PNW, many guys use DGX for both singles and doubles wings. Something to think about. Maybe check their site out for an idea on the lower end of the price scale.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:16 pm

18# size is perfect. I have the xXxX brand and love it. As usual I got a fall off the truck type of good deal but I know they go for 350 to 400+. As long as you are marginally less than the other guy I'd say go for it. Throw in discounted shipping to sweeten the deal. All depends on what your cost is from the supplier. My 2 psi
Mark

As I recall from my B.A. in Economics from the University of California, the rule is, "Always, no that's wrong, it's never...." Oh I forget its been so long. Just sell each unit below your cost and make up the difference in volume sales. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 pm

slonda828 wrote:I have the "extreme" version of that one. I buy most of my tech wings from DGX. Their singles wings are mostly around 200 bucks. I know that is steeply cheap, but I do know many people who use them. Up here in the PNW, many guys use DGX for both singles and doubles wings. Something to think about. Maybe check their site out for an idea on the lower end of the price scale.
DGX's inexpensive wings are imported and they buy a lot of them. Working with Piranha's contacts I can get them too. My idea behind expanding the Argonaut line was not necessarily to offer the cheapest stuff around cause that would be easy.. but if I offer stuff on the low cost end I'm afraid it would portray the Kraken as cheap and that I'll never do.
The sample wing has a lot of nice little touches built into it that will matter nothing to the buyer shopping price only and I get that.
I want to expand the line with good quality, affordable equipment, give the owner the option to service their gear with a good value for their $$$$.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote: Just sell each unit below your cost and make up the difference in volume sales. :D
Each month I meet with my CPA she reminds me that this seems to be my business model :roll:

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 pm

$275 to 300 seems reasonable.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am

I really like that wing, and own 2 of them, IIRC,in the 30# configuration, and I think I "stole" them at the time through liquidation pricing. They are very reputable for being robust, and comparing build quality to the other brands I have, are the perceived upper level. I know the "air travel" folks find them less desirable as they don't pack as well, but that is also 30# wings as a reference (suppose it is the same for an 18# as the material is the same). The price point has climbed over the last few years, and recently I purchased other brands to equip family, and the best deal won. Being a cold water region diver for most of my diving, 18# wings really don't seem to fit in for a full season use, so again, I'm partial to a price point relative to it's use.

Can you beat the competition's price for the similar product and be in the profit range you need?

I wonder at times how much sales you make to outside vintage SH & DH folks.... do you see this item as building market base?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 am

rhwestfall wrote:I really like that wing, and own 2 of them, IIRC,in the 30# configuration, and I think I "stole" them at the time through liquidation pricing. They are very reputable for being robust, and comparing build quality to the other brands I have, are the perceived upper level. I know the "air travel" folks find them less desirable as they don't pack as well, but that is also 30# wings as a reference (suppose it is the same for an 18# as the material is the same). The price point has climbed over the last few years, and recently I purchased other brands to equip family, and the best deal won. Being a cold water region diver for most of my diving, 18# wings really don't seem to fit in for a full season use, so again, I'm partial to a price point relative to it's use.
As far as size I'm not sure how much smaller a wing could be and still be considered useful? The profile is smaller than the Dive Rite #25 or the HOG #23 that I have here.

Can you beat the competition's price for the similar product and be in the profit range you need?
The quality of the sample is definitely on par with both DR and HOG and I'm 90% sure I can bring it in at less than $250.00.

I wonder at times how much sales you make to outside vintage SH & DH folks.... do you see this item as building market base?
I"m always plotting my next move and as I team up more with Randy at Piranha my resources skyrocket. Currently 5 divers are testing out what will be the Kraken's single hose little brother. If all goes well with that, and if I can fill in a few remaining blanks I will have a nice line of good quality equipment to offer at a very attractive price.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 am

Bryan wrote: The quality of the sample is definitely on par with both DR and HOG and I'm 90% sure I can bring it in at less than $250.00.
the "flap" on the LP hose is worth that much? LOL
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:22 am

rhwestfall wrote:
Bryan wrote: The quality of the sample is definitely on par with both DR and HOG and I'm 90% sure I can bring it in at less than $250.00.
the "flap" on the LP hose is worth that much? LOL
If you buy one I'll get a flap put on for you even if I sew it on myself.....LOL

Put this wing with the vdh plate or a similar aluminum plate, nylon bands and you have a travel setup that weights less than 5lbs....

I may offer the HOG 23 and a 30lb option for divers who need a bit more lift.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 pm

A quality 18 at 275.00 is going to save me 125.00 relative to the Brand X 18 that I currently use. Great. This one looks like the same as Brand X and I've never felt that I needed more lift as it's only used for bobbing around on the surface during (after) live boating dives waiting for pick up. Most of the year, we're in full 1/4 inch suits with boots and hoods and steel tanks and I'd even be good with a 12# wing, I think.
Be good to have the 30# though as well.
I would like bigger branding on both sides of the wing - sewn on patches about 6" X 3" but that would increase the cost I suppose.

If the wing had an inflator flap like it's supposed to, you could put another silk screened logo there as well! :P

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm with Keith in that the rough range of between $250 and $300 frogskins. The power inflator is appropriately located so as not to interfere or scratch up a DH reg. (always a BIG PLUS in my book).
I am going to throw this at you; Is there any way (for an extra fee of course) that you can chuck in a spare bladder? This is a major plus for many us in that over time, as we all have seen, when the bladder is damaged or some other mishap occurs, there seems to be a conspiracy by manufacturers not to have any replacement bladders around. Thus the diver is left with a new purchase challenge and of course more money out the window for a "New Brand X Wing", not to mention the now worthless relic of his old wing's outer skin. Just thinking out loud here.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am

Once again I'm going out on a limb.......Advanced purchase on the new Argonaut wing is available in the website store. Randy from Piranha and I have been working on this for a long time. He has been working with the manufacturer for more than a decade and swears by them.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/A ... category=0

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 am

A few photos of the new wing on my plate with an 80aluminum so you can see the low profile. E-mail from the Mfg says they are shipping to me next week. Take advantage of the special price now :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”