al249v
First Name: Al

DH carrying devices

Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, this is a bit of a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway-

What do you guys carry your DH regs in and how do you store them at home? When I was an active sport diver in the early 80s, I just laid my single-hose out lengthwise in my dive bag and it has kink-free and happy. At home, I hung it from a plastic-covered hook run through the yoke and the 2nd stage, SPG and BC hose all hung naturally, so everything was happy there too. The LDS I use only has soft zippered reg bags and I'm not real comfortable with the idea of putting my DHs in one of those, only to have it smashed by something heavier. At home, I've been laying the cans on a table facedown, with the hoses spread out, but I really don't have a lot of table space available and would like to hang them or keep them in boxes somehow. Your thoughts would be appreciated. My current collection consists of a 1962 D.A., a 1960 D.A. and a 1958 Mistral and as soon as I figure out how to turn the resolution down on my digital camera (the webpage only wants pix 128KiB or smaller), I'll post some pix.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Re: DH carrying devices

Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 am

I use a wide, shallow plastic storage tub with a towel to store my two DA's. I got mine at Target (shameless employer plug inserted :roll: ) and they stack easy for storage.

You are never too old to start a new hobby.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 am

BigMike wrote:I use a wide, shallow plastic storage tub with a towel to store my two DA's. I got mine at Target (shameless employer plug inserted :roll: ) and they stack easy for storage.

That's how I store and also transport mine. At least when I'm going out for the weekend. If it's a boat dive with a single reg I use one of Bryans reg covers and a bag to put the reg in. Before that little invention, I used to use Crown Royal bags. They worked pretty well too.

Jim

joeym35a2
Lung Diver
First Name: joey

Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 am

I store mine attached to tank usually rolling around in back of truck or a boat. i have yet to use the cover thing but i figure if it needs to be covered to dive with or transport i really probably shouldnt be diving with it in the first place

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:59 am

joeym35a2 wrote:I store mine attached to tank usually rolling around in back of truck or a boat. i have yet to use the cover thing but i figure if it needs to be covered to dive with or transport i really probably shouldnt be diving with it in the first place

I still can't figure out why my hoses are the ones that keep tearing when yours is the one being abused in the back of my truck and mine is always put away nice.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 pm

I have a small lightly padded Nike gym bag that carries my dh reg plus a few spares (like O-rings, small tool set etc.) . I usually carry it in route in my suit case though I will pack it in my dive bag under my wetsuit.

Protecting the hoses while in use is part of dh diving. They are not particularly easy to damage but it is possible to tear them or rip them or even pull them from the can horn. Of course, there are people who can total an M1 Abrams tank.

A heavy impact against the horns can cut the hoses as well as damaging the can.

Nem

Chris
Master Diver

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Or removing your tank to hand it up to the boat and forgetting the mouth piece I still around your neck.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 pm

After getting my AL Titan single hose ripped from my mouth on steel shards in TR lake and finding the LP hose cut 1/2 through :shock: . Well, I considered and experimented with a cover material for the double hose regulator hoses. The material that I have found to work best thus far is the nylon mesh/braid fishing rod covers. They are long, stretchy nylon tubes. Cut to length and double under and melt with a lighter. Come in all sorts of colors Do not put them under the hose clamps, no, no, no. I have not decided yet if these are actually beneficial in anyway, so feel free to experiment with them.

Nem

Chris
Master Diver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:43 am

my intake hose I think got pinched between something and the horn and developed a pin hole. I ended up making it worse trying to fix the small hole so I shortened the hose and slid it over a couple of the ribs and put a zip tie on. I got replacement hoses but at 50$ a pair they will sit on my shelf till needed. then a month ago taking it off in the water I ripped the exhaust clear off in the same spot. So now I have zip ties holding both hoses on till I feel the need to swap the hoses. I also experimented with some braided hoses too. I wanted to impress my dive shop owner when I took him out in my boat so night before I spliced a stainless braided hose from under my kitchen sink into my bc hose. that was over a year ago and I still get comments about diving with gear pieced together with toilet parts.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:35 am

This is the stuff I am talking about, I use it over the hoses to protect them in dark water.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/polyest ... cover.html

Nem

Chris
Master Diver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 am

that actually looks pretty neat. do you notice any restriction in movement like tugging on your mouth piece? That's one of my peeves when I use single hose.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:41 am

Nemrod wrote:This is the stuff I am talking about, I use it over the hoses to protect them in dark water.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/polyest ... cover.html

Nem
Rebreather divers use something similar for hose protection...check out prices for repacement hoses for those rigs!

Luis and I have been discussing a new HD hose to go with the DSV mouthpiece we are working on...2014 project for sure
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24 am

tripplec wrote:that actually looks pretty neat. do you notice any restriction in movement like tugging on your mouth piece? That's one of my peeves when I use single hose.
No, I do not notice anything. But, I am not completely sold on a fabric or mesh covering of any type. The bare hoses are very snag resistant just due to the material and the general "bounceiness" (making up another word) of the hoses. If a covering material gave purchase for hazards to get a hold off, it might worsen the problem. Jury is still out, worth investigating, looks cool.

Yes, I think there could be a definite place for a HD hose for dh tech diving. And HD clamps because that is where my issues have been, broken clamps at inopportune times. Perhaps a clamshell clamp?

Nem

Chris
Master Diver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:44 pm

the zip ties seem to be working for me. Not sure if they would hold up better than the band clamps. They do look a bit hoaky but as you can see I didn't have any other choice on these hoses. I have my clamps but I'll put them on with the new hoses. But you could put one next the clamps if your having problems with them breaking and don't mind the perfectionist vintage dive making fun of you.

Chris
Master Diver

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:38 pm

back to the original post, I too like Tupperware. I don't store them like this but for travel it works and guards my computer too. If I'm cramped for space it goes in my dive bag with my dry suit. According to the order page they won't become curved from bending up the hoses although I try not to kink them. "Silicone will not take a set and become rigid when stored."

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”