Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 pm

A couple of photos of the sample bladder that is in route to me. This is designed specifically for the double hose plate for minimum interference around the cans and a 15 to 18lb lift. Inflator/pressure relief valve will need to be installed and then testing time..
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Nice doughnut style, but for up here I'd want a bit more lift. However, for a warm water and Islands rig, this would be excellent.

2 questions:
1) How long is it, I'd like to see how it would fit on an 80 for the islands vs. a 72
2) Who is making them for you?
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Gilldiver wrote:
2 questions:
1) How long is it, I'd like to see how it would fit on an 80 for the islands vs. a 72
2) Who is making them for you?
It is a sample and no one is making it as of yet but the sample was made to the specifications we provided to a design company that specializes in prototype and engineering for scuba equipment manufactures worldwide. Walking the floor at DEMA with one of their designers he showed me 1st hand 5 or 6 companies that used their designs when manufacturing BCD's. But their help is not cheap to get.

Drado had a great idea with his experiment and I'm using a lot of that information with his permission. Several other current bladder designs were also looked at and elements used from them. All of which accommodate just about any size single cylinder.
It may not have enough lift for everyone. No big deal...Don't buy it...The new BC is being designed in conjunction with the new double hose plate and you can interchange this one with just about anyone elses bladder out there. Plus you will be able to get into a plate,BC and harness with premium hardware specifically designed to use with a double hose in a minimalist setup for less than the cost of most of the bladders alone that are currently on the market.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for the information, not knocking the design at all and if I ever get the time and money together again to do some warm water/travel diving I will most likely be buying one.

After xmass, and when I have some extra funds again, I'll pick up one of the plates. I have an aluminum freedom plate, but I think this plate will play better on my larger steels that are needed for the submarines around Block Island, RI.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:11 pm

New plates are in stock and ready to ship. Luis made a few modifications with the machinist in the 11th hour and we think it will now accommodate just about any bladder on the market. Plate is shown with the pattern for the new BC we are working on that is specifically designed to work with double hose regulators. Feedback ???

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:23 pm

When I get mine, I'll add 2 holes on the bottom edge for bungee loops to hold a smb. Otherwise, the plate looks good.

Pete

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh, how about some VDH artwork laser etched into it?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

I like the looks of the final plate.

Hi Pete,
Adding holes is very easy since it is aluminum.

I gave it some though and we talked about adding more utility hole, but we didn’t want it to look like Swiss cheese from the start. We even hesitated about adding the second set of slots, but we found too many wings that needed the narrower slots.

If there are some universal holes that could be useful to most, maybe they can be added on future runs. It will be up to Bryan (after this run is sold out), but if you send me any suggestions I can always add them to a drawing.

I dove my plate with a new Phoenix again yesterday. I am extremely pleased on how well it feels and how it performs. I will add some pictures to the other thread
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

cheeko8080
Lung Diver
First Name: Clint

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:45 pm

The plate looks great. I'm curious what the specific reasoning is for the shape/ orientation of the wing. It is sort of shaped like a torus wing (though the bladder seems to go all the way around), but in the photos it is mounted in what would be an upside down orientation relative to most torus wings. Is there some specific reason for that?

Clint
WARNING: Double hose addiction imminent!

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes, it is up-side-down.
Luis

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Pictures fixed.....Sorry about that

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 am

luis wrote:I like the looks of the final plate.

Hi Pete,
Adding holes is very easy since it is aluminum.

I gave it some though and we talked about adding more utility hole, but we didn’t want it to look like Swiss cheese from the start. We even hesitated about adding the second set of slots, but we found too many wings that needed the narrower slots.

If there are some universal holes that could be useful to most, maybe they can be added on future runs. It will be up to Bryan (after this run is sold out), but if you send me any suggestions I can always add them to a drawing.

I dove my plate with a new Phoenix again yesterday. I am extremely pleased on how well it feels and how it performs. I will add some pictures to the other thread
I saw that you added the 2 sets of band holes and having the option of heigher or lower makes the plate more universal to travel. Why are there 2 sets of tank band slots in parallel?

Also, are you around between Christmas and New Years? I feel like a Main dive next week and need a buddy to zip up my dry suit.

Pete

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 am

The outer slots hold the tank much better and it is much more stable. But, there are too many modern wings that require the inner slots to fit. Those wings normally include some form of rubber bumpers (or similar) to keep the tank from rolling. If you have one of those wings (like the newer Oxycheq or XS Scuba, etc.) the plate will work fine, but with the outer slots the tank is stable even without the tank stabilizers in the wing or anything else.

Yes I am around. I was thinking this is ski season, but I can do one more dive. I need to install my dry gloves do. I will give a call later.
Luis

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:34 am

This plate looks fantastic and looks like it would fit my small Oxycheq Mach V really well. Beautiful work. I don't suppose anyone that has gotten it yet has tried it with this wing.

I think I am going to try to squeeze one more order of stuff in before Christmas. I would love to use this in Cozumel. :-)

I just completed my first double hose rebuild project thanks to all the parts from Bryan and I'm already thinking about my next one to build. You guys are right, these things are dangerously addictive.

Seems a little colder in Maine than Boston Luis but I'm still going to be diving a bit more. We're doing a Christmas Eve dive and then maybe a few more scallop dives then I think I'm done of the season. I never made it up to Nubble this year.

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 pm

My high school dive buddy (he lives in Nebraska now) happens to be testing the new plate with the Oxycheq wing. I am joining him at Provo (Turks and Caicos) and he is planning on diving that combination. My understanding is that it fit great.

Are you going to join us in Cozumel next fall?

I will be at the Boston Sea Rovers again this year. If you want we can meet.
Send me an email and we can talk off line.
Luis

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”