rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Building a Kraken Kit

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:19 pm

maybe I should try crossing the straps behind my back.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:11 pm

What is there to hold the fabric plate away from your back? I am 5-11 (but shrinking rapidly) so maybe it works best with people of more average height?

Just for info, I had to lower the waist webbing slots on the VDH plate, I cut new slots below the provided slots, because the waist strap was too high for my preference. Thus I find it interesting that I was able to use the Oxy soft plate as is and you are the opposite. :| My wife's VDH plate she uses as provided.

I would suggest crossing the straps or increasing the (size) loop for your shoulders, of course crossing the straps usually accomplishes that, I suppose. I like my shoulder straps loose and cinch up my waist strap instead. I did not cross the straps on my Oxy, I did on my VDH plate. And I do not cross on my technical plates.

James

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:18 pm

The top just "falls away" from my shoulder blades.... I even added a chest strap to try and pull it forward. It is a modified H-harness, so maybe I just keep compounding the issues with my tinkering.

My VDH plate also has an extra set of slots at the bottom, and I have made my own "cinch harness" on it. It has been really nice.
Bob

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:36 pm

It falls away in the water, swimming horizontal? You might consider stiffer webbing. Hog rigs work best IMO with stiffer webbing.

Hmmm, weird.

James

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:58 pm

no, not water tested yet, but it is really away from my back standing. My VDH doesn't.... Yeah, it might improve in a horizontal position.
Bob

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Notice a comparison of my VDH plate and my Oxy:

Notice the waist bands are in the same place, the shoulder straps are longer on the Oxy and the top edge of the Oxy is lower than the cutout in the VDH plate. Also, notice the wings themselves are in the same place. In the water, I cannot tell them apart. Well, I can, the fabric plate, the tank sometimes (when full) will tend to flop side to side. The Oxy fabric plate is ONLY suitable for aluminum 80 and 64 cf tanks and it will work okay with steel 72s.

I got back from Coz now a week ago and have not had time to put anything away, got in at 2AM, got up at 5:30AM and have worked my axx off everyday and today was a safety officer and course marshall at a stupid motorcycle race. So, my wife would really like her living room cleaned up :shock: .

BTW, before the VDH plate came out, I had built several plates, one a dog bone type and another alot like the Oxy plate, both in 6061 T6 .125 aluminum. I still have them in the shop. They were works in progress but I like the VDH plate better because I do not have to build it, Bryan does and I am really short on time these days, so why develop something that already is great and available (mostly). And both of them sat lower on my back than the VDH plate does. But, again, I like the VDH plate better and one of the things aside from my not having to make it, is the way the harness clips into the slots with keepers (brilliant idea Luis) and the crossed straps configuration that it requires.

I do not think crossing the straps on a soft plate like the Oxy will work, it will just pinch and fold or bunch the fabric I should think.

JFYI, the Oxy wing is an 18 and the VDH wing is a 24.

Nem

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:02 am

With the storefront update done there were no new VDH back plates.

If I go with an oxy soft soft plate, what harness should I use?

If I am able to get a VDH plate at some point would it be the same harness or something different?

Jim

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 am

EberWolf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:02 am
With the storefront update done there were no new VDH back plates.

If I go with an oxy soft soft plate, what harness should I use?

If I am able to get a VDH plate at some point would it be the same harness or something different?

Jim
The Oxy uses a single continuous run of webbing. The VDH "Vintage" uses two separate runs. It is likely that you can cut the continuous loop in half, but a new 6'-7' length of webbing is really inexpensive.... You will also need to add hardware (HD Sliders) for the "Vintage", between 2-6 depending on how you rig it. If you get the second plate in the future, just build another full rig... It is pretty inexpensive.

YMMV
Bob

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:10 am

The Oxy plate is rigged standard Hogarthian with a continuous loop. Well, maybe not completely Hog as I did a few things different but it is still a single loop (I was sort of chastised by the maker of said plate for doing it all wrong). As stated, you can recycle the parts into another plate, though you will most likely need new webbing.

I do not want to cause you to buy something you will hate me for. I like the soft plates and like anything they have some positives and plenty of negatives. They are not intended for cold water, heavy/negative tanks etc.

I will have faith VDH will eventually get around to another run of plates, I am sure the Big B has many things going on right now to attend to, priorities ya know, part of being a grown up :( . I hate being a grown up :evil: . When he does, I think I will grab another.

James

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the info. While I wait for my Kraken to move down the assembly line I've started to acquire the rest of my "kit".
I picked up an Argonaut wing and a few convenience parts, strap pads, hose weights ect, from the VDH store.

While I look for and wait on the VDH backplate to make a comeback I'd like to get the rest of the must haves.

Harness
Safe Second
Dump-able weight pouch(s)

Looking through some older posts the HOG/EDGE products were recommended at one point. Is that still the case?

Thoughts?

Jim

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 pm

I use the XS QR weight pockets. I put them on several of my rigs (including my wife's). You might consider them for your rig if you are going weight integrated. I am still looking for the perfect solution but these are very good (for small amounts of weight).

This Sunday past I spent the morning on a local MX track for prepped track practice and survived. But the afternoon, I pool dove my Kraken DD-12 to make sure it was good after a complete (self) service. I flooded it completely in Cozumel, every place that could have salt water in it did! :cry: But it is good to go now. I pool dove with my Oxy 18 on Oxy Travel plate.

Getting back to the weight integration, Little people may be waist challenged :oops: . There simply is not enough room on a waist strap for buckles, weight pouches, BFKs and other manner of paraphernalia. I also do not use weight systems that do not allow at least some of the weight to be dumped. Trim pockets on the tanks bands work great but IMO the primary weight should be able to be ditched if need be, others differ apparently.

So, I still have not come to a weight solution, integrated, that I am fully happy with.

Nemrod

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 am

EberWolf,

I've posted these before, but this shows the best configuration (comfort, ease of use, etc...) for weights I've come up with to date. I used OMS weight pockets, each holding up to 13 pounds. I set it up on both my VDH plate and my blow-moulded back pack. Maybe this will give you some ideas. Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”