kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

liners

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:43 pm

What types of liners are present in older USD tanks? Is it paint or a vinyl? I know the blue real sticky nightmare one so its not that. Looks like a white or cream paint.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: liners

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 am

Good topic! I would really like to gather info on the subject with help from the group and do another PDF that can easily be accessed for future reference. A lot of cylinders get condemned unnecessarily.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 am

The three I remember are a brown and a white liner, I believe both were some type of epoxy paint.The other was the short lived vinyl condom replaceable liner.
Captain

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:59 pm

There was also a dark blue internal coating that looked similar to the dark brown. Both of these were relatively thick coatings and I also heard that they were some form of epoxy coating.

Those two dark coatings make it more difficult to do a good visual inspection (VIP). They are not only dark, but the thickness makes it a bit more difficult (but not impossible) to see if the surface has any irregularities due to rust under the coating.

I have three cylinders and the coating seems to be very thin. They are very easy to do a VIP. With any kind of light I can see any imperfections. One of the cylinders the coating is intact.

The other two have shown imperfection and a bit of rust, but it has been very easy to clean with a wire whip. This is why I think that the coating is very thin (but effective). If it was thicker I feel like I would have had to tumble them.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 pm

These tanks are stamped 4/63. The liner does appear to be thin more so towards the top where small rust spots are apparent. A whip should clean it up nicely. I took a pick to some parts but its just surface and no pitting.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”