pasadenatim
First Name: Timothy

US Divers Valve Question

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm new to the Vintage arena, and have done some DIY with other equipment. I have a US Divers J valve that apparently has an older Overpressure relief plug. According to the schematic, it appears to be an pre 1966 valve plug and is Large. Much bigger than the 3/8th standard. Is this 1/2 inch? It measures like 9/16 at the threads. Also, any tips on getting out the brass/copper washer? It appears stuck or corroded. I didn't want to pry too much on it for fear of damaging it,
Thanks for any help. I've enjoyed and learned a lot from this forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Re: US Divers Valve Question

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I can't speak to the valve you have. But, I do have A couple of later model j-valves that I got parts for from Bryan. I would be willing to send you one for the price of shipping if your interested.
Ed

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 pm

It looks like a 1/2" burst disc. I use a dental pick to get the copper burst disc out. I think Bryan sells these in the store.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 am

It is probably not a brass or copper washer, it is most likely a phenolic gasket. You probably will not get it out in one piece as they stick to the valve and become brittle with age. Use a pick to break it up. You can replace it with a nylon one or leave it alone and put the nylon on top of it.
Captain

pasadenatim

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks to all for the information. I'll try the 1/2 in. plug from Brian. The gasket looks good so I'll leave that alone for now.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:09 pm

If you are going to leave the old gasket in place I highly recommend you put a new nylon one on top of it because if it leaks with just the old one you will have to empty the tank to replace it.
Captain

pasadenatim

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Hmm, well, the 1/2 inch is too small. Measures more like 5/8th. I've never seen one this big on a US Divers J Valve? The nut has multiple ports and the disc appears copper and is concave. Another PIC attached. Not sure if I can find a source for a replacement disc and reuse the nut. Oh, well. should of checked this first before cleaning up the valve. A good learning experience though. Thanks for all the input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm

What do the rest of the valve guts look like? I have never seen a USD with a burst disc this large. It can't be a European one, because they don't have burst discs. Can you take pictures of what the rest of this thing looks like?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 pm

US Divers did have a large burst disc for a while. The bad news is that there are no replacements available, as far as I know. Others in the past have searched dive shops, industrial gas supply companies, etc. with no luck.

I would just look for a different valve. It is easy to replace the valve. Even if you did find some NOS disc from some old dive shop, the supply would be limited.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 pm

pasadenatim wrote:Hmm, well, the 1/2 inch is too small. Measures more like 5/8th. I've never seen one this big on a US Divers J Valve? The nut has multiple ports and the disc appears copper and is concave. Another PIC attached. Not sure if I can find a source for a replacement disc and reuse the nut. Oh, well. should of checked this first before cleaning up the valve. A good learning experience though. Thanks for all the input.
Can you make an accurate measurement of the disc diameter? Thickness would be helpful too. I will be glad to look around for something that fits. Sounds larger than anything I recall, but it's worth a try looking.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 am

I would suggest you try at a commercial gas supplier such as Airgas, Air Liquide or Praxair. Some of the commercial gas cylinders use a large burst disc.
Captain

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Does your burst disc assembly look like the one on the left? The right one is the standard 3/8".

If it is contact me at [email protected]

Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:43 pm

I might have one used on surviv air USD

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am

Yes I have those burst plugs contact me,USDivers used them on the1r Survivair firefighting line also! :twisted:

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for the help Jerry MOOOOOOO!

Return to “Tanks and Valves”