Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey Surflung...
I'm sorry that I advised you to try the paintball relief kit! :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

time2dive
Vintage Diver

Re: Questions About Burst Disks

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:43 pm

You might also check with a Fire Extinguisher company and see if they have any burst disks that they would sell you....most CO2 fire extinguishers are 1800 psi. I will soon be testing cylinders for a local fire extinguisher company....I can try to find out where they get theirs and what they look like.
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:35 am

- Thanks Time2Dive. My Hydro Testing guy told me the same thing... He said he hydros a lot of fire extinguishers. If you can get some, I could use 20... Believe it or not I have 10 tanks at 1800 psi and I should get some spare disks if I get the chance. I did some checking around and here's what I found on-line:
http://www.brooksequipment.com/Fire_Ext ... AND%20WASH
- I found in the CO2 department, there's a mix of other uses that go higher than 1800 psi... Like paintball. So it gets confusing. The list on that link doesn't give any pressures... So is it assuming all are 1800 psi?... Geez! I see a copper one listed as "Kidde" type... Walter Kidde Company made most of the 1800 psi tanks I have... I think I need to call them. The picture is certainly right.
- Also, My Hydro Testing guy is a Sherwood dealer and he's checking into ordering them directly. So, maybae there's an answer coming up.
- Antique... I'm not so sure the paintball units aren't usable if there's a way to install them to adapt for the Scuba burst disk port. A lot of paintball shooters use Scuba tanks to fill their guns. So, paintball technicians may already have experience adapting their burst disks to Scuba tanks... I have it on my list to make some calls.
- Somewhere in all this we are learning stuff and may be finding new sources! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 pm

- Apparently Sherwood doesn't have the 1800 psi burst disks anymore... I tried to order them through a local Sherwood dealer and the lowest he could get is 2015 psi. Same as what Bryan carries in the VDH store.
- The CO2 fire extinguisher companies have pictures that look like the right thing but, they don't rate them by working pressure (psi). I called to ask for further specs and they weren't able to tell me anything of use. "Our products are not for Scuba tanks..."
- So at this point I'm figuring any official who inspects these tanks and finds I have the wrong burst disks... Well, they can't say I didn't try awfully hard to find the right ones.
- I just ordered the last four 2015 psi burst disks from the VDH store. And when Bryan restocks, I'll order some more... I have 10 of these 1800 psi tanks!
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

I don't think I'd sweat it Eben. Even though many shops make it up as they go along, I doubt that they would gig you on that. Besides, if they are looking at your burst disk, they have to replace it anyhow.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 pm

- Eureka! I got the 2015 psi burst disks and installed them properly. Filled my Twin 38s to 2000 psi. No leaks and no blow outs! :roll: This brings these tanks up to modern safety standards.
Image Image Image
- Note:
1. Stickers indicating tanks passed Visual Inspection.
2. Silver painted Hydrotest stampings.
3. Pressure gauge reads just a little under 2,000 psi... FULL.
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 am

That's a nice looking set!
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”