SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Pig-In-A-Poke OR Maybe a Bargain

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 pm

No Leaks... Ready To Dive!
ImageImageImage
- I held these under water with a full 2000 psi inside... not a single bubble! These babies are air tight!
- I got the tank bands off a set of US Navy twin 80s. They're probably not supposed to fit but they seem fine.
- The harness is from Simon Beans... A Traveler I wasn't using.
- Yeah they look pretty plain Jane rough and tough. I like 'em. :wink:
Pig-In-A-Poke or Bargain... It all turned out good so I'll say BARGAIN!
- Thanks again for all of the encouragement and advice on this forum.
(P.S. SwimJim and Bryan, I'm saving up and watching out for a compressor.)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 am

Hi Jim,
well after seeing my idnentical compressor at wazee,you bought one.
Wow I can help on the maintenance,filters etc.
Great compressor15 lbs lighter that the bauer.
Moooooooooooo!

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 am

The Kemps cow personally tumbled these babies.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am

SeaHuntJerry wrote:Hi Jim,
well after seeing my idnentical compressor at wazee,you bought one.
Wow I can help on the maintenance,filters etc.
Great compressor15 lbs lighter that the bauer.
Moooooooooooo!
I picked up the used one that I talked to you about. An offer I no coulda refused!

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:49 pm

- So far nobody noticed I got the reserve on the wrong side :oops:. The reserve rod has a neat little retainer that is held in place by the tank band so, I'm going to leave it this way and just install the rod on that side.
- BTW, the reserve works great. On one of my emptying efforts, I left the lever up and drained the tanks down to 0 psi. Then I flicked the lever and watched the pressure go back up. Too high tech for modern divers, probably! :lol:
SurfLung

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 pm

SurfLung wrote:- So far nobody noticed I got the reserve on the wrong side :oops:. The reserve rod has a neat little retainer that is held in place by the tank band so, I'm going to leave it this way and just install the rod on that side.
- BTW, the reserve works great. On one of my emptying efforts, I left the lever up and drained the tanks down to 0 psi. Then I flicked the lever and watched the pressure go back up. Too high tech for modern divers, probably! :lol:
It was common to intentionally do that. This places the lever facing forward which reduces the chances of accidentally tripping it.

There were a number of single tank valves that the lever could be installed in the forward position for the same purpose.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:03 pm

This is What They Look Like Under Water...
- I have been diving with these twin 42s several times now. In the lake out front. Up at the Crosby pits. And most recently in Lake Michigan off Washington Island. They're very comfortable to wear. And the total of 84 cf of air lasts a good long time. I've grown accustomed to the Klauda vintage harness... The cotton webbing works so much better than the same style harness in nylon (which is on my USD 38s).
- I have not yet tested the Reserve Valve down to empty. Been using a banjo SPG and either pulled or bumped the reserve lever early every time I intended to test that feature out.
- These tanks are heavier underwater than my USD 38s. With my 3mm suit and hooded 3mm vest, I only wear 2 lbs of weight to be neutral. With the 38s I wear 8 lbs using the same suit set up. I plan to try these 42s with my 5mm suit. A 5mm will have more potential compression and buoyancy variance. But maybe in actual diving it will work well with these tanks. :D
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:16 pm

In the Final Analysis...
- What really happened to cause the first hydrotest to fail... On both tanks? This discussion has focused around a special procedure for galvanized tanks. But there's another possibility for what happened in this specific case:
- The failed hydrotest man said something like "They just kept stretching...". Then when I took them to a better test facility, the new hydrotest man discovered that the O-ring sealing the connection of the hydrotest apparatus to the tank... LEAKED. I watched what this looked like and the water level in the stretch measurement burette just continued to rise(Is this what the first guy thought was stretching?). The new hydrotest man quickly recognized it for a leak, changed to a better fitting O-Ring that stopped the leak, and the tank then tested successfully.
- It being that these tanks have the rare/odd 1/2" straight thread with O-Ring seal, I just wonder if the first hydrotest man had the same leak but didn't recognize it as merely a leak?
- As for the special procedure of pre-testing galvanized tanks to 90% of final test pressure, the new hydrotest man said he checked all his references for a special directive and found none. But, he said on the other hand that the wording in the documentation indicates that there is nothing wrong with doing the test that way and so he was happy to comply with my request.
SurfLung

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 pm

SurfLung wrote: "They just kept stretching...".
That statement alone immediately tells me there was probably a leak.

I did a lot of hydros when I worked at Divers Service Center and any time I saw a tank that “just kept stretching”, it always turned out to be a leak. After a while, you get to recognize them very quickly.

The only explanation for the first guy's incompetence is that maybe they don’t see that many leaks anymore… maybe he never test tanks with tapered threads.

In any case he should have figured it out. At least he only failed them and did not condemn them.

SurfLung wrote: - As for the special procedure of pre-testing galvanized tanks to 90% of final test pressure, the new hydrotest man said he checked all his references for a special directive and found none. But, he said on the other hand that the wording in the documentation indicates that there is nothing wrong with doing the test that way and so he was happy to comply with my request.
The special procedure is not driven by the CFR (the DOT codes). It is driven by the cylinder manufacturers and it is acceptable in accordance with the CFR.

At one time we used to do a similar procedure just to check for leaks, before the actual test. The manufacturers had not required that procedure, but I remember doing a quick leak check to 90% of hydro pressure on a regular basis. We used the 90% since it was specifically allowed per the CFR, but we only held long enough to check for leaks.

The fact that we did it as a leak test probably also explains why we also never had any failures on galvanized 3AA cylinders.

Actually a galvanized 3AA cylinder has a reasonable chance of passing even without the pre-stretch procedure, but the numbers are substantially better after following the procedure. The new high strength HP galvanized cylinders are more likely to fail if the procedure is not followed.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”