SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Cascade Filling my Twin 38s

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 pm

- I've made several dives with my USD Twin 38s by refilling them from higher pressure cylinders using a tank balancing hose. I incorporated my banjo pressure gauge to make the whole process work very slick. It's like having an on site personal tank filling compressor... For the cost of a fill.
Image Image
- The low 1800 psi pressure of these 38s makes cascading from 3000 psi aluminum 80s very convenient. This method allowed me to use these tanks for four dives on our last trip to Fortune Pond.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Re: Cascade Filling my Twin 38s

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Rock on Surf lung! You strike me as the type of guy who qualifies for his own compressor...looks like you're working your way up to that....great idea on cascade!

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm

- I had a PM asking where I got the hose for my Cascade system...
- A basic tank equalizer hose is what I use. I've had one for years but, I've seen them on line for $85 or so. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqutce/yoke ... -equalizer I added a banjo fitted SPG to the connection of the tank to be filled and it allows me to watch the pressure increase... Before the SPG, I was going by guesswork. I've seen where you can get the tank equalizer hose with a built in gauge for around $150... That looks like the way to go.
- The tank equalizer hose has a yoke at each end and a bleeder valve on one of the ends. Hook it to the two tanks. Close the bleeder. Open the empty tank valve. Open the full tank valve. Listen to the air flowing. When the tanks are equal, the air will stop flowing. If you have the SPG attached, you can watch and stop equalizing when the desired pressure is reached.
- If the flow stops before you reach your desired pressure, that means the tanks equalized at a lower pressure. Switch in a new filler tank that has a higher pressure and you can continue your cascade fill.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Dang -- So there is a reason I should have kept my Al 80's.
-Geoff

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm

When filling from multiple tanks, always start with the lowest tank...as long as it's below the target tanks pressure and work your way up to the highest pressure one. That way you can get more higher pressure fills with the same amount of tanks.
Herman

Return to “Tanks and Valves”