INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Re: O-Ring or Nylon Washer for 1956 USD J-Valve

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Image
Here are pics of the ones I have avail. I am suprised nobody wants them? Perhaps I should put them on EBAY with a buy it now of 900 and say I have the box that is minty? :lol: No, that would be LAME. Still 5 bucks plus a stamp gets u one.
I totally missed the part about you selling something here. PM sent!
D.I.R.....With Voit !

ltstanfo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 am

Phil,

Thanks for the post and the info. I've been TDY and am just now getting around to catching up on forums and email.

I've got a lead on a couple of replacment parts. Once I obtain them, I plan to take them to the local hydraulic / pneumatic supply store (Imperial Supply) and see if they can match them up for me and provide a source of spares. They have been most helpful in the past with getting replacement o-rings / seals for vintage gear - most recently getting new o-rings for my UDS-1 tanks.

My thanks again to you Phil and to everyone else here for helping out. This forum rocks!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

PS: Ltstanfo is a holdover from my earliest user login at a DOD facility I started work at. The old UNIX server/network was limited to 8 characters so first and middle initial then balance from last name. I am not military but have worked for DOD (contractor) my entire career.
I see the fish all swimming about and I wonder to myself... where do they go when they sleep? - JYC

WD8CDH

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:47 am

WD8CDH wrote:Can you post pictures. I found seals at McMaster that worked for valves like what you are describing.
I don't have the valves any more so I can't cross the part that I used (20 years ago).

Ltstanfo, can you measure the outer diameter of the recess for the nylon washer? If I remember correctly, it was about 3/4" but I need it more precisely. Also, is there a stub sticking out the middle? What is it's diameter.

The part that I found was a metal/rubber bonded seal that was practically blowout proof. I also used it to put regular SCUBA yoke regulators on Medical post valves.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 pm

FWIW......Rob send me a couple and I forwarded them to the folks up in Pennsylvania that make all the special gaskets and seals for VDH. I'll post here when they let me know if they can reproduce it.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ltstanfo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 pm

WD8CDH wrote:
WD8CDH wrote:Can you post pictures. I found seals at McMaster that worked for valves like what you are describing.
I don't have the valves any more so I can't cross the part that I used (20 years ago).

Ltstanfo, can you measure the outer diameter of the recess for the nylon washer? If I remember correctly, it was about 3/4" but I need it more precisely. Also, is there a stub sticking out the middle? What is it's diameter.

The part that I found was a metal/rubber bonded seal that was practically blowout proof. I also used it to put regular SCUBA yoke regulators on Medical post valves.

Will do and provide info here.

Regards,
Ltstanfo
I see the fish all swimming about and I wonder to myself... where do they go when they sleep? - JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:20 pm

FWIW........The company that make all my gaskets and seals is looking into making some reproductions. According to them it is done in a mold and they are sourcing the cost to have one made for it. Stay tuned! :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am

Here is what I got back from the gasket/seal/O-ring supplier that I use.

LEE HERE, BAD NEWS I CAN NOT FIND ANY MOLDS FOR THIS ITEM. F.Y.I. A NEW MOLD IS $ 1500.00 AND A PRICE OF
$ 2.00 EA FOR VITON WITH A DELIVERY OF 6 WEEKS.

So hold on to what you have.....I'll keep looking but it does not look promising right now.

Thank you
Bryan

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Ouch! I should have listed mines on the BAY for 900 BIN :lol: .

vintagemike6
Lung Diver

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Rob, those o-rings still for sale WITH the minty brown jetair mouthwash? :lol:
Spotlights..sirens..rifles..
it must be time for a jailbreak
Bon Scott-1976

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Can anyone comment on how long a machined Teflon washer would be expected to last?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

Return to “Tanks and Valves”