ltstanfo

O-Ring or Nylon Washer for 1956 USD J-Valve

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 am

All,

I recently aquired a 1956 USD marked J-valve to put on my newly hydro'd 1955 RENE tank. When I took the tank to the LDS for a test fill, the fill whip could not make a good seal on the J-valve and leaked air. This J-valve does not have the usual rubber o-ring but rather what appears to be a white nylon washer. I can see the where the fill whip tried to make a seal as there is an imprint on the surface of the nylon material. I've never had any problems with this LDS filling my "newer" steel 72s (60's and 70's vintage, all with o-rings). We tried to put an o-ring on the valve but the "standard" o-rings would not seat correctly.

So, do I need to find another one of these white washers? What's the story? Pictures can be provided later tonight if needed. Thanks.

Ltstanfo
I see the fish all swimming about and I wonder to myself... where do they go when they sleep? - JYC

TENNESSEE DIVER
Diver

Re: O-Ring or Nylon Washer for 1956 USD J-Valve

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:06 am

Check with some of the moss backs, there is an o ring that will replace the nylon washer, I had a few of them but have given them all away. The ring is wider than the standard ring and fits the valve perfectly. The nylon seat was a problem to seal in the early days. We first had bolts that used a wrench, on the yoke, like on the the early Broxtons, and then the T handle with the wide t"s on the yoke . You also might find one at some of the older dive shops. I will check my stash and see if there is still one misplaced some where. Ron

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Kemps Cow Jerry gave me 2 of them and I was going to reproduce them but somehow they got lost on the way from Portage to Florida...The ones he had were thicker rubber ones.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I too am in need of something that would work. I lugged my double 72's 4 hours away to dive and the whip would not work. I was bummed.
D.I.R.....With Voit !

usddude
Master Diver

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 pm

There are some later valves with the same problem. :evil: :evil: :evil: Dacor had the same problem....it ruined them ...at least up on the northeast coast it did...everyone was pissed. I have some 1959 Dacor Lowboy valves that are great. Some of the later ones are bad and some are machined properly. Its where the face of the valve where the yolk fixes on and the machining for the "oring". Same with USD.I could get deeper into this subject..but I'm tired for now..good night..somebody else pick it up.....

usd

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Sounds familiar. I also had an old 55-56 post valve that had the same thing happen. I found an old O-ring at my LDS that fit but have not found anything else similar. When that goes I am SOL !

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 pm

You could also try moistening the nylon washer before tightening down the yoke over the valve. Some of my vintage scuba books recommend this..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

WD8CDH

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 am

Can you post pictures. I found seals at McMaster that worked for valves like what you are describing.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 am

WD8CDH wrote:Can you post pictures. I found seals at McMaster that worked for valves like what you are describing.
This would make things a lot easier if they are out there! I'd be glad to buy some stock as opposed to making them from scratch..
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:15 am

I have some of the flat on one side curved on the other side tank valve washers.

I have 2 available for 5.00 each. Email me if interested. NO PAYPAL on this one however.

Will take cheque or MO....

[email protected]

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 am

These were called an EZ Seal Washer. I was advised of this in posts about three years ago. Bryan, If you need another to have some made I can spare one of my last two. If these are available at McMaster Please tell us the part number. thanks in advance.
Robohips
ltstanfo wrote:All,

I recently aquired a 1956 USD marked J-valve to put on my newly hydro'd 1955 RENE tank. When I took the tank to the LDS for a test fill, the fill whip could not make a good seal on the J-valve and leaked air. This J-valve does not have the usual rubber o-ring but rather what appears to be a white nylon washer. I can see the where the fill whip tried to make a seal as there is an imprint on the surface of the nylon material. I've never had any problems with this LDS filling my "newer" steel 72s (60's and 70's vintage, all with o-rings). We tried to put an o-ring on the valve but the "standard" o-rings would not seat correctly.

So, do I need to find another one of these white washers? What's the story? Pictures can be provided later tonight if needed. Thanks.

Ltstanfo
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Phil
Vintage Diver

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:37 pm

Itstanfo:
Had to smile when I read your post on 'nylon' washers - brings back the 'bad ol' days', or at least stuff that was not as good as what is being used now. The washers are teflon, not nylon. The wide, flat disc was made as an 'ultra-modern' replacement for what was originally in that big recess in the valve - a leather washer! The early french regs used an supple, oiled disc of saddle quality leather, about an eighth of an inch thick. The major HP nozzle (the snout that sticks thru' the yoke) had a wider seat than later models and sealed easily on the leather washer. Couple of tricks, tho', you don't screw down hard on the yoke screw to get a leak-free seal - you put the reg on with the exhaust hose parallel to the valve. which puts the intake hose at about 9:00, relative to the valve, you tighten the yoke screw until it is snug, but not as tight as you can turn it - then you take the reg by the two horns (like a bull!) and, taking advantage of the extra leverage afforded by the greater distance from the nozzle center, turn it into the normal diving position, which tightens it more than you can by the use of the yoke screw, and doesn't bend the ears on the yoke screw! (how many early regs have you seen with bent yoke screws, Bryan?). A couple of tries are required to get the hang of exactly where you need to initially position the reg to have it seal well when turned to the dive position and whether you need both hands on both horns or one hand on one horn.This system works well on teflon washers - BTW, you can buy teflon rod at your local plastics store or order from the net.(get virgin teflon - not 'recovered' or 'salvage', more money, but less heartaches!) Whip it down to your fave machine shop, have it center-drilled and part off as many discs as youve got rod for . . this is also a no-brainer for a friend with a unimat or similar.
Re: the flat-one-side, domed-the-other neoprene washers that were an easy sealing replacement for the teflon washer - these were called 'ZA o-ring adaptors' in the early USD catalogs (ZA was the part no.) and were first put out by a small independant maker - they worked so well that USD soon copied them. They are not exactly the same as today's counterpart mentioned in previous posts - but close as damn is to swearin'!
I still use a ZA-o ring adaptor in my trips - works great!

What does itstanfo stan' fo'?

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 am

And we continue to learn. :D And preserve more history. Thanks for chiming in Phil.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:49 am

Phil wrote:
bend the ears on the yoke screw! (how many early regs have you seen with bent yoke screws, Bryan?).
I have a lot of thumbscrews that the threads are mushroom shaped and cannot be removed completely from they yoke. Bent ears and teeth marks from pliers and vice grips are pretty common.....

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Here are pics of the ones I have avail. I am suprised nobody wants them? Perhaps I should put them on EBAY with a buy it now of 900 and say I have the box that is minty? :lol: No, that would be LAME. Still 5 bucks plus a stamp gets u one.

SOLD

Return to “Tanks and Valves”