luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Calling the Captain! I have a hydro question

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:19 pm

I bought one of this chain vises and it will fit an aluminum 80 and even bigger tanks easily (it works great with steel 72). There is also plenty of room to add some rubber to protect the tank finish if needed.

This a heavy duty chain vise and I would highly recommend to anyone that wants to service tanks with tapered valves.

At $80 there are definitely less expensive solutions, but this is probably the ultimate solution for probably the most positive tank grip and it is extremely easy to operate on any size tank. IMO the quality of the vise compares to a vise made by Ridgid that normally sells for two or three times that.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200342889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

WD8CDH

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:23 am

Are you sure you need to remove it? I have had several tanks Hydro'd with bushings in place in the past (SCUBA and Industrial). If they leak, you might get a false fail.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:16 pm

WD8CDH wrote:Are you sure you need to remove it? I have had several tanks Hydro'd with bushings in place in the past (SCUBA and Industrial). If they leak, you might get a false fail.
I have also had some tested with bushings. In fact I had to have adapter bushings made to fit the old UDS 35' cylinders just so the local hydro facility could test them since they had larger openings than normal.
The older I get the better I was.

WD8CDH

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 pm

As a mater of fact, I had to do the exact same thing for my UDS-1 tanks. Shame you can't use a bushing for the eddy current test. :( I still haven't found a solution to that problem.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”