Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Getting into vintage doubles?

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:03 pm

I figured instead of doing what I normally do, which is buy a bunch of crap that I have to sell later because it does not work right or I picked the wrong one, I would ask about vintage doubles. I would like a set that I can comfortably dive with no BC. I can lung about 5-8 lbs worth of weight. I would gather that twin 72's would be a bit heavy for me to dive when full. Is there anything smaller like twin 60's or 50's? What are their buoyancy characteristics like? Any favorite recommendations?

Thx.

R
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Getting into vintage doubles?

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Grab that set of Voit double 50s that Robohips has for sale. Great deal, super clean tanks. And period correct.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Any idea as to their buoyancy full and empty?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Heavier when full, lighter when empty. Remember Nem and my basic rule of diving and bouyancy. Swim down, swim around, swim up when done.

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah, that does not work when you are like ten pounds overweight, at least it does not for me. To each his own though.

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I had a set of Voit 3AA2250 psi doubles and they were more negative than double 72's when full. I definately needed a BC or some neoprene to dive them.
I can do double 72's with no BC pretty easy in salt water or in fresh with a 3 mil full suit and body wise I am a sinker. 72's are the way to go or the surplus 3A1800 or 2015 psi dubbles. They are really buoyant and you need to add lead. Diver Tim might want to chime in, he has a set.
Captain

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:04 pm

I am a fairly chubby diver(6' & 290lbs) and I can wear a 3mm and the Voit double 50's with out a weight belt and am about perfect with bouyancy.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

DiverTim
Master Diver

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks, Captain. Ron, I have a set of steel 38 cu ft 1800's and love the way they feel! Awesome comes to mind. Drawback is with no neoprene in fresh water I need 12 lbs to stay down. With a 5 mil I need 22 lbs. I haven't tried saltwater yet. You can see me wearing them on my avatar. Now the steel 72's, that I have, are like Captain said, no weights needed. The only drawback is the WEIGHT of the doubles. The 38's do not weigh that much....I just weighed them at 39 lbs and the 72'2 are 76 lbs. The cool factor, think Mike Nelson, is there with the 38's also. Tim
Pico Blvd DW Mistral
Double 38's
Double 72's
NAVED member 191

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I dive with 3 mil 10lbs, double aluminum 30's...I can dive with a 3 mil and double 72's and no weights. As you know I don't really care what anyone thinks about what I dive so that being said, I would get a setup that I think looks good with my gear, easy to get fills and tote around....Then work the weight and suit combos after that...Or you can be like Karl and Allan and have double and triple everything....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

usddude
Master Diver

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 pm

I broke down my set of 72's into singles this year after they kept breaking me down. I got a set of Sportsways twin steel 45's 1800's that just got tumbled and hydro'd. I found a Dacor manifold with a HP port I'm going to put on them. Geez I hated the twin 72's for my shore diving. I guess they would be ok on a boat since you dont have to carry them. I was negative with the twin 72's with a 3 mil. freshwater. Saltwater I probably would be about neutral. Looking forward to the 45's to dive in a couple of weeks. I dont mind a little lead on the belt at least you can adjust up or down buoyancy with 38's or 45's. To me they are more versatile than going full neg with 72's. Plus you can wear'em low and look cool with no leg bump...know what I mean?!?! 8)

usd

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Well, if you are so sinky like you say just put some styrofoam btweed the tanks like the Soviets and Ploles did with the doubles and triple they made. Sometime you can over think stuff............ Listen to old Simmonbeans he be smart like that.

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 am

It's not so much overthinking it as it is making an educated decision. I only have room in my expansive and palatial 500 square foot apartment for one set of doubles, so I kind of need to get this right the first time. Still, I expected some flack, it is after all par for the course in vintage diving.

I'm thinking 72's are out. I have zero desire to hump 70 pounds around on my back, and I'm not in the Army anymore so there's just no need for that.

Maybe I'll go with twin 50's. How much does a set of those weigh? 38's would be awesome Tim, but I've never even seen a set other than yours. I suppose worse case scenario I could do double AL 40's with a solid bar manifold too...

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 am

I dive a 5mm full suit, and when using my twin 50s, need 12 lbs weight in fresh water, and 15 lbs in salt water. Need 15 lbs also for my twin 72 rig. Strangely, with only a single 72 I need 18 lbs. Of course your results may vary, as I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs. One thing about twin 50s, they are nearly perfectly balanced. They are my favorite tanks to use (although my twin 72s are fast becoming a very close second)..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:39 am

[quote="Ron"]
I'm thinking 72's are out. I have zero desire to hump 70 pounds around on my back, and I'm not in the Army anymore so there's just no need for that. Quote]

You plan on cross country hikes with them. Get a foldable dolly to roll them around. If on a boat dive put on and remove in the water.
I am 65 with a bad back and humped a set of twin 72's on my back about a quarter mile and down about two flights of stairs and back at Sand Dog a couple of years ago. Now I just use a dolly to roll them to the water's edge, strap them on and jump in. You young un's need to toughen up, ha ha.
Captain

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 am

I don't mean to be contrary, but too much is made of this neutral bouyancy stuff. Being vintage like Capt'n, in the "era" you didn't have all the choices we are presented with today. Most of us used 72s, or double 72s. 38s were around, but not common. Later 42s (bumped up the pressure from 1800 to 2250) and then 50s made the scene. So you had to learn to dive with what you had. And, there was no BC so you had to estimate weighting. If you were a bit negative, swim. Positive, pick up a rock. In fact, at Brownstain, I was light most of the first dive (grabbed the wrong weight belt), but made a real nice rock my dive buddy. Sure I could have stopped the dive, went back to shore, etc., but for the couple of pounds a rock was fine.
Find a nice set of whatever, learn their characteristics and enjoy the dives. To me, condition of the vintage tanks you purchase is more important than bouyancy stuff. This will be learned and appreciated.
If you are looking for something that makes the modern LDS happy try one of these sets. Double 50s and 45s.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”