Fibber McGee

valve questions

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm

I have seen a few tank valves that have what looks to me like a port that one could possibly attach a gauge to. This is in addition to the usual burst disc fitting. (the Dacor K valve on my 72 is an example)

My question is: are these ports downstream or upstream of the shutoff valve and are they suitable to fit a gauge? (and has anyone done this?)

It seems like this would be an easy way to get around the need of a banjo fitting and long yoke, although not as convenient since the gauge would become semi-permanent to the tank. (which is no biggie if you own and use the same tank all the time, although rough handling would become more of an issue if left attached.)

This is a slightly academic question, as I have a Phoenix RAM....but I also have an older reg w/o an hp port so it may have some practical use as well....I plan on finding a good J valve to go with the older setup, but until then it would be handy to be able to fit a gauge on the tank I already have.

thanks.

DiverTim
Master Diver

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm

it sounds like a HP port for a SPG to me. Tim

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Those ports are down stream of the valve so they preussurize when you open the valve. That way you can rig an spg to them while the tank is full. Pretty handy, I've got a couple three of those and I use them both ways as the situation dictates.

Jim

Fibber McGee

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks! that is exactly what I needed to know...and also the answer I was hoping to hear!

:)

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:00 pm

I use SPGs attached to the tank valves all the time. True, you have to dedicate a gauge to each tank, but I've gotten a bunch of old Sea-Vue gauges off eBay for that very purpose.
Tanks w/gauges are especially handy for diving 1-stage regs with short yokes, and if you don't have a Mar-Mac banjo. I've had uneven results with the Mar-Mac, and the tank-mounted gauges always work just fine.
One thing though; don't let the shop do a hot fill; the gauges will get condensation inside them when that is done..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

pescador775

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Some are downstream and some are upstream. Same with double and triple manifolds. Among doubles, the downstream port on the Healthways is the best that I've seen.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:19 pm

The valves I have are Dacor. I remove the Spg prior to the trip to the dive shop so they don't get banged around. I always liked Dacors knurled valves. Much easier to manipulate after coming out of near freezing water.

Jim

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 pm

swimjim wrote:The valves I have are Dacor. I remove the Spg prior to the trip to the dive shop so they don't get banged around. I always liked Dacors knurled valves. Much easier to manipulate after coming out of near freezing water.

Jim
Most of mine are post valves. I have some Voit Viking k-valves that will accept a gauge as well. The handiest are several yoke manifolds that you can attach an SPG to the bottom of. I use those quite a bit..

INFIDELxx
Master Diver

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:23 pm

I really like the port on the valve. I think it makes routing much cleaner. The valve I have doesn't work well for routing the SPG on my Left hand side. Did they make any with the port on the other side?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:58 pm

The spg would have to be rigged to the right with most such valves. This was how it would have been done. There were no octopus or LP inflaters so there would be no reason it could not be on the right.

Nem

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 pm

U S Divers made a K valve with an spg port on the left side.
Captain

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:17 am

captain wrote:U S Divers made a K valve with an spg port on the left side.
Yes, the USD K60 valves have a gauge port on the left side. So do Sel-Pac post valves and Voit Viking K-valves..

pescador775

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04 pm

I installed quick disconnects on the two sets of doubles with Healthways manifolds. I also installed one on my Phoenix and single hose reg. Computers and gauges can be quickly exchanged among cylinders, double hose and single hose regulators. The Healthways double manifold allows a particularly clean and safe QD installation for use with tank mounted gauges and double hose regs. It is a good arrangement for diving a stock RAM and set of double 38's. This double hose setup is most convenient for carrying flat on a boat, making tank dives to recover fish hung up on the bottom, changing a prop, freeing an anchor, all kinds of stuff. If I need to keep an eye on air pressure a gauge or computer can be attached to the manifold in less than a minute. The tanks can be dived without a gauge connected to the manifold as the QD has an internal check valve and won't leak. Normally, I install a plug in the QD to keep out water an dirt. Again, no tools needed to remove the plug and attach whatever.

NAFOD
Lung Diver

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:41 pm

pescador775 wrote:I installed quick disconnects on the two sets of doubles with Healthways manifolds. . .
What is your source for HP QDs? I assume you've found something sturdy and reliable?
That's a very nice dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver . . .

8dust
Master Diver

Re: valve questions

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:36 pm

Saw this in the archives, and wanted to follow up.

Does anybody have a source for a good HP disconnect ?
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Return to “Tanks and Valves”