kingairpilot
Diver
First Name: Kurt

Re: Vintage steel 72 testing

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Well, the LP72 that failed the "bell" test came back from hydro this afternoon. As we all suspected, it was fine. Thank you Scuba Toys. Only took 2 weeks from door to door... The original shop JUST sent my other tanks out to the hydro shop...well, I offered to load up my truck and run them down there. WTF, it's only been FOUR FREAKIN WEEKS.

To say that I am miffed is a bit of an understatement. It's a good thing I havent been diving and needed tanks...oh, wait...that isn't a good thing.

ka

Healthways

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am

I always deal directly with the hydro people, I was given four old 72's recently from
the LDS, people donate them to the Underwater Recovery Team for a tax write off,
and all four are back in the water, two are old healthways tanks from early 60's. Now
have way too many tanks. These tanks will last me the rest of my life, if taken care of.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Healthways wrote:I always deal directly with the hydro people....

Experience pretty much proves that dealing directly with a reputable hydro shop may save you a lot of grief from dive beautiques. Where oh where have the real DIVE SHOPS gone? :cry:

Of course, in all fairness, there really are still some shops with knowledgeable owners... it's just that you sometimes can't tell whether you have found one or not until a perfectly good steel cylinder "fails" an inspection or hydro because it wasn't done properly.

Be sure to check the downloads section for the info on hydrotesting galvanized steel cylinders: http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/downloads/index.php
Some hydro faciilities aren't aware of this procedure, so check with them before you leave galvanized cylinders to be sure they are up to date on it.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”