No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Cheap Compressor Filters

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:07 pm
I just purchased a Wlater Kiddie compressor but it has at best marginal filters on it. These look perfect for it. So, overall , you would recommend them?
Hi Herman,
- I feel unqualified to actually "recommend" this filter system... I got so much negative response to it from the ScubaBoard. "Cheap Chinese Crap"... and similar comments, it sort of blew my confidence. Hard to tell if the biggest detractors really know what they're talking about or not. And, I didn't send the filtered air off for testing so I can't say it gives "E" grade breathing air. At the same time, I can't see any reason why NOT to recommend it.
- From what I've learned about the filtering process (as an amateur), the system makes just as much sense mechanically as other scuba compressor filters. In fact I've seen older scuba filters that are nowhere near as smart as this system. And when you add in a Back Pressure Regulator or Pressure Maintenance Valve... It's MORE efficient than vintage filter systems that lacked those features.
- I filled scuba tanks many, many times through this filter system (30+). I dove with and breathed that air and didn't taste nor smell anything funny (yes I know CO doesn't taste or smell). And, I monitored the blue test strip in my filter. Moisture and oil came out of the condenser in significant amounts. All of the remaining air passed thru the filter media... So it HAD to have been filtered just like any other filter tower.
- I currently use this Chinese filter system on my RIX SA3. The RIX already has two condenser towers, so not much comes out of the condenser. But all of the RIX "Sweet Air" is going through the filter tube and I monitor the blue strip to be sure I always have sufficient filter capacity remaining. In other words, it works fine for me.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:11 pm

I saw the posts on scubaboard and wow some guys are just plain asses. Good for you for giving it a try and posting results. I have the same oil water separator on my system and it works well. The aluminum is very thick and machined well. I'm sure the grade of aluminum is not as good as others but because of the small size it is plenty strong. I have put 3300psi through mine with no issues. That is all my compressors will put out so far. I don't want to push them too hard. Thank you Surflung for taking the time to post all the info and pictures on these, it is appreciated.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Now that they are on amazon(chinazon) with free shipping, the price is right. But this guy having one explode makes me rethink cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

The TUXING filter is a different system than what I reviewed. Its an in-line filter between air source and airgun. It doesn't have a moisture drain, for instance. And apparently it has had problems in more than just the above instance. There's quite a lengthy discussion on a different incident at Airgun Nation... At least some of it blaming the Chinese compressor for not having a moisture condensation system.
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/tuxi ... ent-wrong/
In the Airgun Nation instance, it appears the plastic filter tube ruptured inside the exterior aluminum casing.
In YOUR instance the exterior aluminum casing ruptured... Circumstances not given.
I don't think they came to any conclusions on the exact cause in either incident... But again it isn't the same thing as what I reviewed.

The 2-tube system I configured and reviewed here is quite different from the TUXING Tube (above). It's almost identical functionally to the filter tubes on Coltri Sub and MaxAir35 IMHO. It all looks well made and well thought out but aside from that, there's no way to know if the aluminum its made from is bad and might rupture. When you buy a Scuba compressor filter system from ANY source, you assume it is made to function safely in the application for which it is sold. To say, "Well, I have one and it didn't blow up in my face" is to deny your up front assumption that it isn't supposed to blow up in your face. If that's what you are testing, you should be using a hydrostatic testing facility. And maybe that's what is needed to be certain they are safe. Are other systems Hydro Test certified? I haven't seen that if they are. The 2-Tube system I reviewed was rated for 4500 psi.

I have to say, the initial attraction to the Chinese filters was price. But in my case, I think the original cost was about $200 for the 2-tube set. Then, I spent a fair amount of time and money experimenting with connecting hardware to adapt it to my compressor. And then, I had to come up with a modified filter housing so I can change filter media. Bottom line in time and money, I probably have around $400+ into getting it all up and running. And frankly, you can buy a lot of confidence in a different system for that kind of money... Compressor Stuff, Jim Shelden, American Airworks... Those guys can come awfully close to the same overall cost with non-Chinese filter systems.
SurfLung

couv
Master Diver

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

The 2-tube system I configured and reviewed here is quite different from the TUXING Tube (above)...... Then, I spent a fair amount of time and money experimenting with connecting hardware to adapt it to my compressor. ....
Hi SurfLung,

Thank you for the update.

It so happens I have an offer for an item similar to the set you bought and tested. However, the item I'm hoping to get is just the moisture separator half of the kit. I would like to know what adapters I'll need to convert their fittings over to US threads. Also where to purchase them.

Thank you,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:07 am

Hi Couv!
- Yes that moisture condensing tower is a pretty impressive design. As for the threads, it may depend on what the unit is set up for... I've seen some set up for quick connect airgun use. Mine was set up for a britsh thread BSP 4 (aka G1/4) thread and I eventually used adaptors to make it JIC 4 (aka AN4)... These I think I got from a racing supply company:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=3252

Umm... Actually that might be just the outlet adaptor. For the inlet I'm remembering I found an adaptor from BSP 4 to 1/4 NPT. But the BSP 4 end didn't have an O-ring seal. I think I sealed it with red loctite. I can't remember where I got the adaptor.

I'm sorry I can't find where I got the G1/4 to 1/4 NPT adaptors. Might have been on an Amazone search. :cry:
SurfLung

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 am

Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:58 am

Double post...
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks guys. Bottom line is I'll be converting from British standard to a US standard-not some oddball thread to start with. When the moisture separator arrives I'll sort out the adapters.

Cheers,

Couv

couv
Master Diver

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Update:

I received the moisture separator a couple of days ago. The separator is just like the one in SurfLung's post. I decided to avoid using adapters so I had a hose shop make up two hoses (about $30 each) to connect the compressor to the separator; and the separator to the filter tower. The hose shop installed a BSP fitting on one end and a JIC fitting on the other end of each hose. I am pleased to say it all works like a champ. As I did not remove the moisture trap from the filter housing it is very easy to tell that no visible moisture is making it's way to the main filter housing. The moisture that remains should be taken care of with the MS.

Thank you SurfLung for all of the research, effort, and time to post all of your findings.

I do have one question. How in God's name did you remove the top off of your separator housing? I tried to remove mine (like you, I am interested in seeing the guts-and more importantly an occasional inspection) but the cap is on tighter than Kelsey's nuts.

Cheers,

Couv

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:38 am

How Did I Get the Top Off?
- Well first I should mention: The instructions said NOT to take it apart... And I think it said that at least a couple of times. On the other hand, I was curious to see how it was constructed inside and I was writing this review, so I felt justified in taking the top off and if I broke something doing it, I was prepared to accept that. I just wanted to see what was inside is all. I didn't take the insides apart but maybe that's what they were worried about.
- So anyway, I think I used a strap wrench. ACE Hardware unit with a plastic handle and rubber strap. I don't remember it being especially difficult to unscrew, though. It has the same green O-Ring arrangement as the other tube. On YOUR unit they might have done things different to keep guys like you and me from unscrewing the top... Like maybe a thread sealer? Or a Set Screw? I don't know... Mine wasn't hard to unscrew.

My compliments on taking a smarter route to connection. You got your unit up and running a lot faster than I did! If you can post a photo it would be fun to see how you have it set up with your compressor and filter media. :)
SurfLung

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 am

That exploded filter looks like it was cast aluminum.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am

captain wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 am
That exploded filter looks like it was cast aluminum.
Yes, I agree. It's getting hard to trust companies halfway around the globe that we can't hold responsible for their crappy and sometimes dangerous products. :evil:
The older I get the better I was.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:38 am
How Did I Get the Top Off?
- Well first I should mention: The instructions said NOT to take it apart...
All the more reason to take it apart. :-) ....besides, the kit came with a spare set of seals. How else am I going to inspect and replace them without opening the bugger up? I already tried to remove the cap with a strap wrench-but it's too tight-just stretches the rubber belt. Perhaps a cloth belt would work better.

BTW here is a link to the eBay vendor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCP-Compressor ... 0008.m2219

Basically the lines are female on each end. BS on the ends that attach to the moisture separator and JIC on the ends that come from the compressor and to the filter.

I'll attempt to attach photos below.

First I removed the ss line from the compressor outlet to the filter inlet.
eliminated ss line.jpg
Then, attached the BS end of the new hose to the inlet fitting on the separator, the JIC end to the compressor outlet.
The second hose JIC fitting on the inlet of the filter and the BS hose to the outlet of the moisture separator.
separator inlet line.JPG
The separator came with oddball lines. BS on one end and metric on the other. One line also had a Q.D.
IMG_1113.JPG
Line going into filter (bottom line.
Oops, file too large....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Compressor Talk”