Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Another unusual Non-Mag

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:15 pm

I got this one totally by surprise in the mail....I have asked the person that sent it to me for more details if they have them.....This appears to be another version of the Non-Mag with a metal label but a silver body, most of the black finish is missing....Standard yoke with the low MU stamp. I have not openend it up as I want to get more info from the owner before I do.....AND HOW DID YELLOW HOSES COME INTO THIS PICTURE???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 pm

That is strange indeed. It makes William's reg seem to be more likey than not the real deal, eh!
That finish under the removed black paint is very shiny? Is it chrome or what? The yellow hoses are weird. I am sure that was not standard military....Probably added later by a civinlian who "obtained" the reg from DA GOV.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:38 am

The owner contacted me and advised that he was a retired Navy Salvage diver and got the regulator in 1974 from the Navy. He believes that it was put together from spare parts they had available at that time.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

TENNESSEE DIVER
Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:59 pm

JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH ON THIS, BRYAN I DISCUSSED THIS LAST WEEK. BUT FOR MY PART I WOULD NOT REFINISH THE CANS, AND LEAVE THEM AS IS.
ESPECIALLY, IF I WANTED TO KEEP THEM FOR DISPLAY AND COLLECTORS VALUE.
ALTHOUGH THEY LOOK PRETTY REDONE, YOU HAVE DESTROYED THE ORGINAL FINISH LEFT, AND IN THIS CASE IT APPEARS TO BE PART OF THE ORGINAL FINISH, THUS DESTROYING THE COLLECTORS VALUE OF THE ITEM.
IF THE PIECE HAS BEEN RESPRAYED WITH REGULAR PAINT, IT WOULD NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AND I WOULD THEN, OF COURSE, REFINISH.
IN THIS CASE, IF I WANTED TO DIVE ONE OF THESE, I WOULD HOLD AND GET ANOTHER, OR A REGULAR DA.
THESE ARE GETTING TO BE A RARE ITEM, AND OF COURSE WE, AT THIS FORUM, ARE HELPING THAT ALONG REAL FAST.
BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, IF NOT FOR OUR INTEREST, THESE OLD REGS WOULD BE SOLD FOR SCRAP, I GET ANY AND ALL I CAN, NO MATTER THE SHAPE THEY ARE IN , FROM THE DIVE SHOPS, ALL OLD PARTS ECT.
SOMEONE, LIKE US, HAS TO SAVE THE GEAR. LOOK WHAT BRYAN, AND BROXTON HAVE DONE, THEY PUT THEIR MONEY AND ABILITY WHERE THEIR MOUTH IS, AND IT DID COST BIG BUCKS TO GET WHAT WE HAVE AVAILABLE THRU THEM, AND ALL FOR US. WE OWE THEM BIG TIME, SO DON'T FORGET TO SAY THANKS AND NOT TAKE THIS FOR GRANTED.
THE MORE ORGINGAL THE BETTER IN MY BOOK. BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION AND YOU KNOW THE SAYING.
OH YES, I WANT TO COMMEND BRYAN , IN THAT HE CONTACTED THE OWNER AND INFORMED HIM OF WHAT HE HAD AND MADE HIS RECOMENDATION AS TO VALUE REFINISHED AND NOT, BEFORE EVEN BREAKING DOWN THIS UNIT, YOU DON'T GET ANY MORE RESPONSIBLE THAN THAT TO YOUR CUSTOMERS-----HILLBILLY

TENNESSEE DIVER
Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:01 pm

IF MADE OF PARTS IT IS NOT AS VALUABLE AS AN ORGINAL NON MAG, BUT I WOULD STILL BE ON THE SIDE OF NOT REFINISHING IT. BUT IT IS HIS CALL.-- HILLBILLY

rmannix

Argh

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:55 pm

I was on a submarine, USS Greenling SSN 614 from early 77 to June 1981. We moved onto a barge while in overhaul in Charleston SC. While cleaning down below in the barge I found a complete non-mag. I'm sure it never got used again and hadn't been used in years, we were all on conshelfs then. It just wasn't worth getting caught with it. Can't count the number of times my car was searched leaving the base (mostly looking for drugs, but we were told at quarters they would bust if you had more than 2 gov't pens)

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”