Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

IP pressure for RAM Square label

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:41 am

HAving searched tha manual which calls for 115 + or - 5 PSi for the old square label, I have seen psotings where 135 PSi and 140 PSi are used.

Does having a higher IP pressure make for easier breathing?

What should the pressure actually be set at. I understand the manuals were written a Looong time ago and new info may be available, but I do want to do this right.

Opinions and expereinced opinions would be appreciated...egads that sounded snotty.
let me re=phrase.

I value the opinions of those who have more experience than I do.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:35 pm

As long as the second stage horseshoe height is correctly set and it doesn't free flow the higher the better. If it doesn't free flow at 145 set it there.
Captain

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:02 pm

IS there a correct height for the horse shoe to be set at, or is it trial and error

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:16 pm

The RAM 1st stage is the Father of the Conshelf regulators 1st stage. Other than the length of the pin and a slight change in the crown they are identical to this day. Testing showed that the Conshelf breathed much better at a higher IP. I believe the current USD manual calls for an IP in the Conshelf of 140-160. Double check me on that but I think I'm right.
What was good for one seemed to be good for the other. From my experimenting on the RAM, leaving the IP at 110 is like leaving money on the table.....135 seems to work fine as a baseline for great performance. Sounds like Tom has done some testing and I know that Ryan Spence has done a lot of it as well. Perhaps they will chime in and give us their thoughts.

Lever should be even with the top of the box.....BUT.... Some slight adjustment may be needed depending on the condition of the diaphragm. If you are using one of the more rigid military diaphragms you may have to lower the lever a bit to prevent free flow...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:15 pm

I don't have a RAM now but if I did I would crank it up as high as I could.

I do the same to my DA Aquamasters and DA Navy.

Doing these regulator is like hot rodding cars. The manufactures do it the cheapest and easiest way. If they tried to tune each one to max performance it would increas labor cost so they pick an IP that will work OK in 99.99% of the regulators but 0% will be at maximun performance.
Captain

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 pm

ROGER THAT!

I am going to play a bit with the height of the shoe, and see if she free flows. I have one of the new diaprhams from Bryan, and its quite responsive . Not much lag time from flex to fill

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Yea and if you don't like the diaphragm you can take it to the nearest RCN base and ask for an exchange! You may have to back the lever height down a bit for that one. It is super tight but those things are tough as nails!

I'm with Tom on the IP settings.....I run mine at 135 but I am almost positive that Ryan told me he was running his at 145.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:11 pm

I am using the more rigid mil spec diaphragm. It is super responsive with considerably less lead/lag time . I did have to adjust the horse shoe down a tad , took it just off free flow and put the IP at 140.

Clearly the Captain was correct in saying the manual was conservative

Wow what a difference. The breathing difference was quite noticeable.

The nozzle i am using in my RAM was a new nozzle with conshelf parts Bryan put together for me. I have rebuilt the original RAM nozzle that came with the reg, and I am converting a DA Aqumaster to the RAM nozzle. I will set it up with the standard diaphragm, and adjust the IP to 140 as well to see how it performs. Will let you all know.

How sweet it is. Cant wait to try out the reg now with the new IP. It was swet before, but this should make it sing

treasureman
Master Diver

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:01 pm

Used the DA Aquamaster with therebuilt RAM nozzle. This one has the standard diaphragm. Adjusted the horse shoe just below free flow and set the Ip at 140. Went to the local pool in the deep diving pool 15 ft.

Not a great test, but it did show me the difference in breathing from the lower Ip to the higher one. Clearly the higher IP is much better. Tuned all my DA's (4) to the same setting. What a difference from factory spec 110 psi to the higher setting.

Time to put together another parts list for my wish list this season

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”