Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Air Integrated Hoseless Dive Watch

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:05 pm

Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on using one of these devices with your double hose? I would not even consider it for shallow water diving as I think it's overkill..... but for some extended deep work ????

Let me start by saying that I know very little about dive computers and only use the very basic ones that the shop owners require me to use while teaching class.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

oldmossback

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:08 pm

Dive computers make very accurate depth gauges........and watch or bottom timer..........I can't get enough bottom time outta a 72 to use a computer for what the techie's use it for.........maybe at Scapa Flow I can, but that trip is still a dream for the moment.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:15 pm

Jerry I'm talking about the ones that have the remote sender for your pressure gauge. Shows PSI on your wrist! On the Spiros you could screw the sender into your port or on the others into the banjo.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:07 pm

I have 3 Oceanic hoseless air integrated computers and use a Chucks Banjo with the transmitter. It works great! If I use a pony, I use another computer on it.

oldmossback

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:10 pm

what advantages would there be, outside of one less hose?

oldmossback

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:17 pm

also, Aries has a setup like you are describing........spg in intergrated into the computer.........I think, for myself anyway,that would be too many factors to monitor on one gage............perfer each gage with single info......younger guys might like the idea tho.............

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:47 pm

Many companies market the hoseless wrist computer. Besides the above noted Oceanic and Aeris there is a model from Scubapro, Suunto (marketed through Aqualung) and surely others. The obvious advantage to the hoseless computer is one less hose and the associated routing issues. But to me most importantly is the availability of a computer. I presently use a wrist mounted Suunto Gekko, a simpler model of the Vyper. When Chucko and I dove the Keystorm in the St. Lawrence last summer, the first dive was to 113' with a 55 minute surface interval. Our search and recovery second dive took us to 100'. The computer was able to keep me informed on a no decompression bottom time and then insisted on a 6 minute safety stop. Of all the pieces of dive gear I find almost indispensible, the computer is top of the list. No matter if we are diving a 1959 DA or a 2005 G250, decompression illnesses are a reality. The computer aids a great deal to preventing these problems. The wrist mounted computer, be it hoseless or not, does not negate the vintage look much. And, for me, this is one piece of gear I will ALWAYS dive with.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:06 pm

Having been bent once in my life I don't look forward to doing it again....Especially if I have to be in a chamber that is the size of a coffin! Anyhow Rob and I are planning on going to Bonair with Karls bunch in the spring and I just thought it would be a nice option to have with the two hosers so we could get the maximum amout of diving possible. Plus there is lots of opportunity to dive deep there.

Would you discourage or incourage me from purchasing on E-bay ? The Sunntos that I have used seem to be tough as nails and other than batteries I've heard of few problems.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 pm

I bought my Gekko from a Candian company via the internet. It was advertised as a rental unit with fewer than 10 dives. It carried the entire warranty that comes from the factory. Other than the word "Rental" instead of "Gekko", it is ideal. My Suuntos are great (knock on wood) and I have never had a problem. I think this is where I got mine https://www.divetank.com/divetank.net/p ... c513b8a288
I believe that you are very wise in using a computer, makes life a lot easier to enjoy the diving.

kgehring
Master Diver

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Bryan, The Bonaire shop trip is end of Nov. I will check into a spring or early summer trip.

dhaas
Lung Diver

Hoseless Computers

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:53 pm

Bryan (and others),

They say great minds think alike and like SimonBeans I NEVER dive without a computer except for something like "braille" 10' working" commercial dive.

One thing I was happy about at last year's vintage dive was many using a modern computer even with their vintage rigs to accurately know where they were deco wise....

The stories I could tell you....Like when a buddy and I got our ORCA Edge computers in 1986......Down over the wall in Cayman within 5 hours, 3 dives to 158', 139' and 136' well over 60 minutes each all because the machine told us we could!! Learned a lot safer computer methods since then, but still marvel at how this tool can help you be a safer diver no matter what regulator / set-up you're using.

As far as hoseless, I hear you on simplifying your double hose rig. I personally think they add another possible failure point versus a simple wrist mounted model like SimonBeans uses. I've used Suunto models too, and they are really bulletproof. A bit on the conservative side, algorithm wise, but really good units. When my Finland made Benemec computers (branded as Orca Pilot, DiveRite Status, Dacor Equanox, etc.) die, I'll go to a Suunto brand computer. Although the new simpler Uwatech sold my Scubapro seem to be like the original ALadin series. Very simple, tough and so far work well, too...

Check out these models and once you use one you'll never dive without it.

David Haas

duckbill

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:19 am

Please educate me.
I know that this might be getting away from "vintage diving" a bit, but I have to ask because I simply don't know.

I do know this- A computer will give you maximum safe dive time because it continuously monitors your entire depth profile vs. accurate time, and therefore your nitrogen loading as precisely as possible.

But, how is a diver using a computer safer than a diver using the square-profiled, EXTREMELY conservative dive tables as long as he is paying attention, keeping good records, and using the tables correctly?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:06 am

A dive computer does what you said, i.e., constantly monitors the dive profile. where a table is based on a specific depth for a specific time. If you have used the wheel, you know that it has a more accurate method of repeat dives than the common tables. But what I like about a computer is that without the accurate and careful record keeping of table usage, it continuously keeps track of depths, times and surface intervals. When you do 4 or 5 dives a day on a live-a-board, the ease of the computer is worth the expense. As with any electronic device, failure may and probably eventually will occur. However with any good piece of dive equipment, if the computer is kept maintained it will probably keep working throughout your diving lifetime. No, they are not safer in regards to their proper use verses good table technique. They just are a whole lot easier, which provides me with peace of mind and more enjoyment will all aspects of diving, including of course, my double hoses.

dhaas
Lung Diver

Computer use

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:17 am

In a word- ASCENT RATE.....

Most divers have no idea what rate they are ascending and in several studies did anywhere from 100' - 200' a minute (!!!!!!) Computers are programmed to alert you to slow down if you exceed like 33' / minute or even slower on some models. Even records violations God forbid someone drags you aboard unconscious and they could look at your computer.

This has been a factor in people getting bent even well within the no-deco limits. DAN has lots of "accidents" with people well within a dive table or computr's recommended limits. But one thing stands out and that is rapid ascents, not even all the way to the surface.

One more safety factor this tool provides.

David Haas

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm

I think I'll look at buying one. I want the air integrated model cause I like the idea of one less hose..... Now all of you go to the main site and buy a lot of stuff so I can afford one!

Please keep me posted if you see sales or deals on one that you would advise purchasing.....

Captain has an almost brand new Oraca I belive....

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”