Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
duckbill

DA Aqua-Master on USD doubles manifold.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:04 am

O.K., silly me, I thought that the U.S. Divers DA Aqua-Master would have been meant and designed for use on the U.S. Diver 3-piece doubles manifold.

I just finished cleaning and reassembling a USD J-valved manifold (the three piece type), all excited that it could replace my non-J-valved one on my twin 38s at their next visual. The manifold on the tanks presently has the yoke up/handle down. So, I was also pretty excited about the prospect of also putting the yoke down and getting the reg lower on my back. For fun, I thought I'd see how the reg looked on the manifold and I attached it. That hookah cap was hitting the doggon connecting nut on the manifold crossover and there is no way for the DA to sit straight on that manifold with the yoke down. BUMMER!
Is it common on this configuration to have the reg rotated to one side? What gives?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:55 am

Yes it is common and with the banjo SPG adapter installed with a long yoke it will sit straighter. It hurts nothing for it to be slightly crooked, mine hits my Sherwood manifolds in the same manner, I essentially ignore it as it has no harmful effect that I know of.

James

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:14 am

I have a similar set up. All you have to do is tilt the regulator a little and it works fine.
Captain

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:09 pm

I use the USD one piece manifold and it does not have this problem and is much stronger. The only drawback is that it is not as vintage, but I can live with that.

duckbill

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:34 pm

:cry: Now I feel better. :lol: I guess a tilted reg is the vintage vogue :wink:
Yea, Ivan, I thought that the solid manifold would not cause a problem, but I didn't think that they came in 1/2" pipe and that is what my tanks are. Besides, I'm scraping enough $ to get one of those banjos, soon to be released. (I guess you could say I'm pretty "jazzed" about that!)

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:43 pm

Oops! I misssed that the tanks were 1/2 inch....U are right they are for 3/4 only..My bad!

duckbill

Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:41 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Oops! I misssed that the tanks were 1/2 inch....U are right they are for 3/4 only..My bad!
Nope. MY bad!!!! I didn't mention it!

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 pm

FYI-A Navy non-magnetic Aqua Master with the un-machined stub hookah port will not interfear with the manifold.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:01 pm

Excellent observation Tom!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”