Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
duckbill

equalizing a mask w. no nose pincheroo

Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:26 am

I just picked up a fairly old Aqua-Lung mask to use on my vintage dives. This mask has a black neoprene skirt (of course), and a purge valve. What it lacks is any way to pinch one's nose for ear equalization.
It appears that the manufacturer or somebody else has glued a thick neoprene pad into the skirt just below the nostrils. I assume this could be used to block the nostrils by pushing upward on it from the outside, but it didn't seem to seal my nostrils sufficiently to be able to equalize. As I get older, I find that equalization, as other things, is becoming more difficult. I envy those who can swallow to equalize!
With the purge valve, I cannot simply push the mask to my face and blow to equalize. Was that pad put in by Aqua-Lung? Is there any other equalizing technique with this type of mask which I am missing? ANY suggestions would be helpful (other than "Sure. Send it my way and I'll see what I can do!").
Thankyou in advance.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Dear Duckbill,
I as well had problems with those sort of masks. As a result I have a large collection of oval masks that I do not use, many new in the box. I find that the oval masks with the finger pockets are the DEAL. I use and LOVE my dacor DM30. They made that mask for many years and up into possibly the 80s??? As a result there are a lot of them out there and the cost is not too bad. I also have a nice aqua lung with the pockets and I find it very nice as well.
Rob

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:46 pm

The mask you have is probably a Pacifica and it came with the neoprene pad. I have a couple of them and find the pad works well, I prefer it to the nose pockets. The Atlantis model is the same except it did not heve the purge valve. I use the heel of my palm to push the mask upward and inward to get a seal.
Captain

treasureman
Master Diver

equalizing

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:49 pm

The aqualung mask with the nose pads were a difficult mask to equalize with. You had to shove the pads into the nose literally to get a good seal then equalize.

I had two, and when they died a most horrible death (fell on to the deck of a skiff filled with water and gasoline from a leaky fuel line), i bought the oval mask with finger pockets.

even some of the new masks today really suck when it comes to clearing. I would try and find a new old stock Oval one with finger pockets

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Get one of the new oval masks sold by Scuba Supply or pick up a Dacor like has been mentioned with nose pockets. They are a soft and very nice fitting mask. I cannot use a mask without pockets either. James

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:49 pm

I tried on a Pacifica mask (NOS) a couple of weeks ago in a LDS.
I don’t recall the neoprene rubber in my old Pacifica been as hard as the one in this mask.
I admit it was over 30 years ago, but what I can remember is a very soft neoprene rubber pad that would easily block your nose when you pushed on it. That was a great mask.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BROXTON CHUCK

Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:49 pm

Leave your nose in your dive bag, and you wont have to equalize it!! :roll: :twisted: :roll:

oldmossback

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:28 pm

anyone remember the mask that had the wires that pinched yer nose?
Who made that one...........must of been at least 30 years ago.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:22 pm

Voit made that one. It worked fine. If you want a nice looking and functioning mask, USD (Aqualung today) still makes the Atlantis and Pacifica. They are composed of modern silicone, but are identical to the ones of the late 1970's and early 1980's. They can be purchased here:
http://shop.navyseals.com/category/6.1/

treasureman
Master Diver

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 pm

when you got a nose as big as mine, that tiny pad just disappears up ther never to be seen again. Of course with such a schnoz, equalizing is a breeze.

BROXTON CHUCK

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:30 pm

:D SOFIE is a "Navy Seal" :D

duckbill

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:37 am

Thankyou for the responses. I guess I just won't know how the mask will do for equalizing until I actually get it in the water as soon as I knock this doggon cold. Maybe it will work better when my ears NEED equalizing. I'll take my other mask just in case though.

BROXTON CHUCK

Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 am

Pinocchio used a mask made from a squirrel cage covered with saran wrap, and a vise grip attatched for equalization. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Re: equalizing a mask w. no nose pincheroo

Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:20 pm

I have 3 of the old Atlantis masks and dive them along with my other vintage masks. :) The nose pad has always worked for me. I also dove the old model Atlantis while still in the Navy. It was my preferred mask.
I also have the old single lens USD Wrap around, talk about large volume masks. :) The rubber on the old wrap around was stiff as a 2x4. Not very moldable to the face. Also with lots of distortion in the side corners of the lens.
Remember well the Voit mask with the wire nose pinchers. It was a good mask in its day.
Didn't the large volume Nemrod three lens mask also have wire nose pinchers? :?:

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: equalizing a mask w. no nose pincheroo

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:31 am

Superlite wrote:I have 3 of the old Atlantis masks and dive them along with my other vintage masks. :) The nose pad has always worked for me. I also dove the old model Atlantis while still in the Navy. It was my preferred mask.
Here's a picture from a 1963 US Divers catalogue:
Superlite wrote:Remember well the Voit mask with the wire nose pinchers. It was a good mask in its day.
Didn't the large volume Nemrod three lens mask also have wire nose pinchers? :?:
Voit 50 Fathom:
Nemrod Max-Vue:

And here's a more traditionally styled Healthways compensator mask:
The latter is based on Georges Beuchat's French patent for a "Dispositif régulateur de pression pour masque de plongée", which can be downloaded from here:
http://patent.ipexl.com/FR/1211281-a.html

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”