Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
duckbill

U.S. Diver reg. fit on Healthways tank valve

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:23 am

I have a West Pico DW Mistral and have found that the standard length yoke will not fit over one of my Healthways steel 72s' old post-type K-valves (with the metal valve handle vertical on the top), very similar to the U.S. Divers valve. Close, but no dice. Has anyone else run into this problem?
I am wondering if this may have been purposefully done to help market Healthways regulators. Then again, it seems it would be a bad marketing ploy for Healthways tank/valve sales once word got around.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:38 am

The small yokes were very small so it does not surprise me. You should find/purchase a longer style yoke.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:10 am

Ur in luck Bryan has them for sale on this very website.....

duckbill

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:11 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I Know of several solutions to the problem, I was just wondering if anyone has witnessed what I described.
I've already purchased a beautiful long yoke from Bryan for my bright chrome DA, but from what I could tell from the photos, neither of the long yokes being offered have the brushed chrome finish for my Mistral.
Really, the Healthways 72 described is just for display. It looks practically new with it's original gloss yellow paint job, Healthways decal, 1959 hydro, and galvanized bands with yellow canvas harness straps. But, if I ever need that 1/2 tapered thread valve from it for one of my other tanks, I could only use the long yokes on it, I guess.

BROXTON CHUCK

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:09 pm

I put a long conshelf yoke on my mistral so I could use a banjo on it. I put an original chrome lock ring on it, and with the brushed chrome and bright chrome combination its a super cool looking reg!! 8) 8) Sofie the seal says "arf arf arf"!

duckbill

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:48 am

Sounds nice Mr. Broxton Chuck!
Well, I have the long yoke in bright chrome, like I said, but I'm unable to play in the band- I mean sand- without one of them thar bajos.
Hhhhmmm. I just thought of a new thread topic related to yoke lengths. See y'all there.

duckbill

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:50 am

O.K.
For your information.
Take note.
I have just acquired a pair of steel 72s with what some refer to as "I" valves (with the valve on top- the old style). One of the valves is a U.S. Divers valve, and the other is a Healthways.
Beware! If you enjoy diving your beloved Mistral and are looking for a replacement 1/2 inch pipe thread valve for your tank, the Mistral will NOT fit the Healthways valve. Apparently, Healthways wanted you to buy only their complete package- tank and regulator together.
I'm just trying to save others any headaches.
BCNU

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 am

Or install the longer yoke so you can use the banjo adapter for an SPG with almost any valve.
James

BROXTON CHUCK

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:25 am

Nemrod is right, but you can also very lightly file just the BACK edges of the corners, and it will go together. I had one of those valves, and it was a headache, The face where the reg nozzle went in was small, so a banjo had interferance fit. I just put my 57 DA navy onto a healthways K valve and while it fit over the valve (with very little clearance) the nozzle of the reg went the valve very tightly. They obviously had a different tolerance. Theirs was small. You couldnt use a usd reg on their tank, but their reg would fit the other guys tanks. a mystery.They had their own lake to swim shall I say :)

duckbill

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 am

Well, I don't think I'll do any filing on my high pressure yoke any time soon! Good to know about the port tolerances, too. I would either use that tank with my DA (if the port is large enough), and use my Mistral on one of my other tanks. I do have a long yoke for my DA, but I'm waiting to install it until I get one of those elusive banjos.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:45 pm

I seem to recall that somebody was making banjos?? :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:20 pm

DON"T SELL THE ONES IN MY DIVE BAG ROB-Crod !!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:17 pm

duckbill wrote:Well, I don't think I'll do any filing on my high pressure yoke any time soon! Good to know about the port tolerances, too. I would either use that tank with my DA (if the port is large enough), and use my Mistral on one of my other tanks. I do have a long yoke for my DA, but I'm waiting to install it until I get one of those elusive banjos.
Well, the Banjo Master himself was the one advising some filing of the valve and he knows what he is doing unless he has been hitting the ol'Hawk! Legend has it that there is another run of the elusive banjos in progress. Good looks and about 80 dollars USA money will get you one.

James

duckbill

Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:40 am

"Legend has it that there is another run of the elusive banjos in progress. Good looks and about 80 dollars USA money will get you one."

Yep. That's what I've been hearing too, from the horses mouth. Can't wait!

BROXTON CHUCK

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:44 pm

I spoke to the machinist and they will be here......... when Im not sure but soon. It takes a full week for him to make a run, and he has other items to make that are special like the banjos. They will be worth waiting for. I meant to file on the valve, not the yoke. If you round the corners on the healthways K valve, you can fit an aquamaster or mistral on okay. I suppose a long yoke would fit just fine without any modification. You might have to open the oriface out a little, as the healthways seem to be tight on some of them. Sportsways are like that too I have found. I even found some of the early USD j and k valves have a tight fit with a banjo, but the later valves of the mid and late 60's were bigger and everything was in tolerance by then. :roll: Chuck

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”