Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Sharkinabus
Diver

DA Navy Approved

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:31 am

Hi there,

What are the differences between the DA Navy Approved Blue Labels and a DA Aquamaster?

How hard are the DA Navy's to restore?

Did the DA Navy's ever come fitted with a band clamp or was that a modification?

Cheers!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: DA Navy Approved

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Sharkinabus wrote:Hi there,

What are the differences between the DA Navy Approved Blue Labels and a DA Aquamaster?

The DA Navy Approved regulators retained the horseshoe lever systems of the original regulators. DA Aqua-Masters were the 1st to use the updated system with the venturi assist.

How hard are the DA Navy's to restore?

If you mean "restore" as in hang on the wall it really does not matter if it works at all....If you mean to rebuild/service and make dive-able then I would say that most people find that working with the early horseshoe lever regulators difficult at best and disappointing in their results. As with anything, you will find varying opinions on this as well. Manuals for servicing, setting up and using the horseshoe regulators can be found in the download section. Look under USD manuals and Scripps Manual

Did the DA Navy's ever come fitted with a band clamp or was that a modification?

No.....Nor did any USD regulators until late 66 or 67 best of my knowledge.

Cheers!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 pm

I am not the expert that Bryan is, but I have a 1953-4 Green label Aqua Lung. That is the first year of 100% US production. It appears to have never been dived and in perfect condition. It has blue 'one piece' hoses and Tinnerman clips. It has a band clamp that matches exactly and there are no marks to indicate clips have ever been on it. It is a bit hard to see, but is on my avatar. It seems the band clamps go back a long way, but they must not have been too common in the early years. I found it in an old dive shop in Utah about 7 years ago. It came with stock from a shop they bought out years before that.

I was once told that early Aqua Lungs were offered to the US Navy with band clamps when they first came out. The Navy declined as they didn't want the sailors opening them. That may account for the Navy Approved model not having a band clamp. How accurate that is, I don't know, but it sounds logical. Steve

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:52 am

Here is a link to some updated/experimental work that seems to have a positive effect on improving the ease of breathing on the early regulators.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum3 ... y+Approved

C-clips are the scourge of the double hose world...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm

I forget which catalog it is, but I have one from Aqualung from 54-57 that shows a band clamp for sale as an accessory, so they were around back then. Voit sold them in 1957 or 58 (Capn Tucker will know for sure). I'll have to dig my catalogs up. I use band clamps on every double hose I have except for my broxton. Anyone who had access to them back then and serviced regs would have used one in my opinion. I keep a set of clips on my broxton, but I hate them and secretly plot against them like the CIA did against Diem :lol:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Voit started using band clamps in '59 with the debut of the 50 Fathom. Up until then they also used the infernal C-clips..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 am

I have retrofitted all my divers with VDH band clamps. C clips are like neoprene hoses.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:09 pm

All of my double hose regs have band clamps installed. I wouldn't consider going back to C-clips.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”