Mistralopitheque
Diver
First Name: Christian

14-17 landed !

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:28 am

Hey,
Got mine yesterday. Very impressed with the packaging and the details (thumbscrews for the hoses = genius !!) A bit less impressed with the yoke (see my other post), but I'm sure I'll find a way to solve this.
Is there some manual/explosion schematic for Kraken available somewhere?
Also, what are the threading dimensions of the yoke-Body connection...? I hope something standard?

Can't wait to get that beauty mated to a cylinder and DIVE IT.

Best
Chris
OWNER OF Argonaut KRAKEN #14-017

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: New Argonaut Kraken Owners Post

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 pm

The yoke/body interface threads are custom ones used by USD/AL since the beginning up to at least the last model Titan. So, any USD/AL yoke or yoke nut will work but there is no other industry standard that will.

This just partains to the yoke and main body threads that mate with the yoke. All of the ports are the standard modern threads (3/8-24 and 7/16-20).
Herman

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: 14-17 landed !

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Mistralopitheque wrote:Hey,
Got mine yesterday. Very impressed with the packaging and the details (thumbscrews for the hoses = genius !!) A bit less impressed with the yoke (see my other post), but I'm sure I'll find a way to solve this.
Is there some manual/explosion schematic for Kraken available somewhere?
Also, what are the threading dimensions of the yoke-Body connection...? I hope something standard?

Can't wait to get that beauty mated to a cylinder and DIVE IT.

Best
Chris
As Herman stated, the Yoke thread is the same as used by US Divers and Aqua Lung and probably still used by AL.

As to a manual, this regulator is very unusual in that it was made by cottage manufacturing, not some huge, distant conglomerate. So, a manual will probably come along maybe, I wrote some instructions for how I set up the test Argonaut I had. But, see, getting back on my train of thought, unlike those huge and impersonal companies you have Luis and Bryan who will actually talk to you and they are backed up by Sir Herman and then I can sort of fill in between for them at least until those three catch up with their emails and thread answering.

The Argonaut is a Titan/Ram/Conshelf first stage coupled to the Luis designed HPR second stage. The HPR is not particularly unusual, an unbalanced, downstream second stage that anyone familiar with a Conshelf should be able to adjust/repair.

The primary difference with the Argonaut, regarding second stage adjustment, is the adjustable volcano orifice and there is already a thread from Bryan and I made a comment there as well. Basically, if you thread the orifice in until it is flush to the body, plus or minus a turn (I prefer to say .5 turn) and the nozzle slot is aligned within the dots then the set up of the HPR from that point on is again, basic Conshelf process. Shoot for .6 to 1.0 cracking effort on your Magnahelic. No need to over do it and due to clever design the HPR second is awfully easy to set up and very forgiving.

Nem

Mistralopitheque
Diver
First Name: Christian

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:14 am

Thanks for your Reply, Nemrod.
I sure I migt be able to figure out how to setup the reg by taking it apart and taking a look at the bits and pieces.
(This might come as a surprise to you, but over here, RAMs and Conshelf are totally unknown... this is the "Spirotechnique"-part of the world...)
It still would be nice to have some technical documentation... schematics, O-Ring sizes etc. Personally I'd even prefer that to key-chains, labels and other gimmicks that are just for show.

Took off 2mm on the insides of the yoke. It now fits Aqualung and Technisub valves.
Any idea what I could do to the blank brass? Hammerite? Or go for the natural "patina" ?
OWNER OF Argonaut KRAKEN #14-017

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 am

Mistralopitheque wrote:Thanks for your Reply, Nemrod.
I sure I migt be able to figure out how to setup the reg by taking it apart and taking a look at the bits and pieces.
(This might come as a surprise to you, but over here, RAMs and Conshelf are totally unknown... this is the "Spirotechnique"-part of the world...)
It still would be nice to have some technical documentation... schematics, O-Ring sizes etc. Personally I'd even prefer that to key-chains, labels and other gimmicks that are just for show.

Took off 2mm on the insides of the yoke. It now fits Aqualung and Technisub valves.
Any idea what I could do to the blank brass? Hammerite? Or go for the natural "patina" ?
You could re-chrome or for short term, Hammerite, or not worry about it. I had to grind a Dacor yoke I got from VSS to accommodate a banjo bolt, eventually I re-chromed it.

There are service manuals available on this site for the Conshelf and RAM. I am positive that you will get the needed info in a document but would you have wanted to delay delivery for that? I could provide the O-ring sizes but I am going to leave that to the bosses, Luis and Bryan, especially of schematics/drawings.

You may live in "Spirotechnique" world but I am quite sure there are balanced diaphragm first stages over there and unbalanced downstream second stages and likely that you have serviced them (or somebody). Aside from the adjustable second stage orifice the Argonaut is straight forward. I am confident the documentation will come along. And, you are right, service documents are important.

The AL Titan (LX)/Conshelf internal and service parts and O rings are correct for the first stage. There are no O-rings in the second stage, just the soft seat, except for the O-rings on the adjustable orifice. VDH will I am positive be able to supply the "unique" service/wear items.

I think they are all at SD right now. Diving in NY instead of Florida to me is kind of like substituting sauce made in NY City for Tobasco. :lol:

Is there anything specific you need to know right now, a problem? If so PM Luis or email him or PM me. Otherwise hang in there for documentation and it begins here:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/vdh-ma ... _rev-4.pdf

Nem

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Maybe Luis will not yell at me for saying this :) but think of the Argo as a Royal Aquamaster that has the main nozzle welded in the body and the LP orifice has been drilled out and a replacement screwed into the body. Granted the reg has a lot more engineering put into it than that but from a maintance perspecive,that is what it is. Maintance wise, the major difference are the 2 orings in the replacable LP orifice (which are 010N70). Read the Conshelf or better yet the Titan manual and the RAM manual- all of which are in the download section plus the HPR setup instruction on VDH, you will have no problems servicing an Argonaut.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks Nemrod and Herman,

Yes, from an internal parts and service standpoint it is very similar to a RAM and the first stage is even closer to the Aqua-Lung Titan.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:19 am

I will have a diagram soon, but I am first working on redesigning the yoke. I can still use some dimensions for the larger European valves.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 am

Getting ready to decend the line to the wreck of the Vickery at Sand dog last weekend. A great wreck to explore and the Kracken performed flawlessly! Thanks Barb for the picture!
rsz_vickery_dive_7-14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am

Great diving with you Mike! Hope to see you and your Argonaut at portage in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 am

Finally got the card to read from the flooded camera.
22' w/ 5' vis shark tooth dive
128a.jpg
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 am

As previously reported, Argonaut Kraken 14-021 is home and now tested. Here is the link to a little video I made on the Kraken's arrival and first kelp dive. It plays best if you let the HD load for a while first and make sure the sound is on. Enjoy. Mark.

http://vimeo.com/user17515021/argonaut-kraken
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 am

That is going to be August's video for the front page. Congrats to Mark, Esquire. Note that this does not mean that you can charge us a retainer :lol: 8) Seriously though, that is a great video. I like the sense of adventure it conveys.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Beatlejuice
First Name: Andy

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:As previously reported, Argonaut Kraken 14-021 is home and now tested. Here is the link to a little video I made on the Kraken's arrival and first kelp dive. It plays best if you let the HD load for a while first and make sure the sound is on. Enjoy. Mark.

http://vimeo.com/user17515021/argonaut-kraken
Very cool video! :mrgreen: My Kraken will ship out with the next round. Will I have the second one in Southern California? :D :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:31 am

It would be interesting to see something like a Google Earth layer depicting where Krakens have taken up residence.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”