sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Shotgun Recovery while diving my Phoenix HPR

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Here's a video I made of the recovery of a shotgun here in Sitka. The gun had been underwater for 2 1/2 weeks, but was in surprisingly good shape. The owner had a couple of people look for it already, but they didn't dive with a Phoenix, so the cold water pretty much shut them down.

The video is a rather poor quality. I cut it down to 4 minutes and am in the market for a decent editing suite if anyone has suggestions. I'm still new to the Gopro world and my plan for this year to become more proficient at video and editing.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtpzzLYYvA[/video]

Also, I did just order some video lights and a tray. I'm hoping that will stabilize the camera and cut down on some of the annoying clicks and bangs.

Safe Diving.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Shotgun Recovery while diving my Phoenix HPR

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 pm

- He Scores! Excellent video Sitka... When the shotgun came into the frame I was was right alongside you thinking, "There it is!" Nice recovery. Fun, real life video. Night diving in the land of the midnight sun!
- For editing, I use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit things together. They have it at various price levels at http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... .html?&r=1.
- For just clipping out boring stretches or converting formats, there's a freeware called MPEG Stream Clip that I also use. It's at http://www.squared5.com/.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Great video! Thanks for sharing. My four year old son and I enjoyed it.
-Geoff

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Nice little video. Not only cold, but a night dive as well. For windows format I've been using Sony Vegas 10. It's okay all be it some what quirky, which can be frustrating. On the old Apple I use Finalcut Pro. That's the best... period. My old Apple is almost as old as my son though. It too can be tough to use. I'll be getting an upgrade pretty soon though.
Thanks for posting the video!

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 pm

gj1963 wrote:Great video! Thanks for sharing. My four year old son and I enjoyed it.
FUN! I have a four and a five year old and they have both helped me work on my gear. Just got the youngest a mask and snorkel for the tub.
SurfLung wrote:- He Scores! Excellent video Sitka... When the shotgun came into the frame I was was right alongside you thinking, "There it is!" Nice recovery. Fun, real life video. Night diving in the land of the midnight sun!
- For editing, I use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit things together. They have it at various price levels at http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... .html?&r=1.
- For just clipping out boring stretches or converting formats, there's a freeware called MPEG Stream Clip that I also use. It's at http://www.squared5.com/.

Thanks for the links Surflung. I enjoyed watching you videos,(especially the kids with the Vigo tank.) I'll try to add some narative to my next video, which I'll be shooting this weekend.

Swimjim, you're the second person to recommend Vegas, H2O Doc in Seattle is using it also.

Thanks and safe diving.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am

Very interesting video ! Keep them comming
Questions -- What was the make and model of the shot gun?
Did you search gratis or charge for your dive?

SDM

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Excellent job for both you and the Phoenix. Nem

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

21 wrote:Very interesting video ! Keep them comming
Questions -- What was the make and model of the shot gun?
Did you search gratis or charge for your dive?

SDM
The gun was a Benelli pump action, not sure of the model. The guy who dropped it is married to the lady who runs the local knitting club. A friend of my wife's, is friends with her. I turned down his cash and asked for a scarf for Grace.

I'm still doing some diving work, but have such limited time that I usually only dive for a few old time clients who don't like people seeing what they have underwater for electronics/electrolysis. Or I'll help out on some larger projects occasionally. I sold off my torch and surface compressors, so I'm pretty much limited to turning wrenches and taking pictures.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am

STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a gopro a while back and had to upgrade to a faster stronger computer. My computer, a toshba with win8 has multiple problems and melt downs with every video software I have. realvideo, avs video editor, gopro software, and my Roxio. I have only used Roxio software for editing and I have been happy with it. My Roxio NXT works fine in my older laptop with XP but it is way to slow. IN win 8 it shuts down all the time and I have to save after EVERY CHANGE. and some features it won't even let me do with win8. The computer store that I did NOT buy it from told me one of the employees has win 7 for video editing and has no problems. She also said Microsoft should have worked out the bugs in win8 before putting it out to market.

Also on your camera, I dive in murky water on the Oregon coast. Ten foot vis is a great day. I had problems with the light reflection back and flashing the camera. I found using a polarized surface filter on my gopro helped cut glare. the video was darker but less glare at night. Your video looked great, but if you ever do have a problem with glare it's a thought.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”