Master Diver
First Name: Kim

1st dive with Phoenix, 1st dive with DH & 1st Post

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 am

This has been a long awaited event for me. Today I dived my PRAM and it was my first dive with my Phoenix and my DH.

On this dive I noticed all of the little sounds that I never heard using my SH. The sound of the air coming through the hose, the much quieter sound of the bubbles and the lack of bubbles in my face.

I tested the reg on the surface by placing it on a tank and taking a breath from the reg. It worked on land so then I tested it in the water and it worked there too. It's not rocket science and I like to keep things simple.

After an hours surface interval I did it all over again and on the second occasion it was as though I had been diving my PRAM all of my life.

What else can I say :D
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: 1st dive with Phoenix, 1st dive with DH & 1st Post

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:29 am

Welcome to the board and to DH diving.
My PRAM is pretty much my go to reg that I dive most all of the time unless I am with a class...and occasionally then. To get the best out of your double hose, search around on the board for and read the discussions on placement of the reg and on which BCs to use with a DH. DH regs work great but do require some attention to placement that single hose regs do not. Fact is, DH regs do not work well with modern BCs and esp jacket style BCs.
Herman

Master Diver

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks Herman. I'll do that. :D
Kim,
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Great to hear all went well. DH reg's are quite addictive and no doubt the Phoenix will become your go to reg. Herman's advice is spot on - the position of the cans makes a huge difference. My modern BC's don't allow me to get the tank quite as low as I would like so I have ordered the VDH backplate. I may see you at Bare Island when you are up this way.

Master Diver

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks Phil. When I'm next up at Bare Is send you e-mail and just maybe we can give all of the students there something to look at which they have never seen before or only in pictures. :D
Kim,

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:16 pm

kimJackson1 wrote:This has been a long awaited event for me. Today I dived my PRAM and it was my first dive with my Phoenix and my DH.
Congratulations on your 1st DH dive! :D

Pictures! Pictures!

It really must've been a long awaited event - more than a year in the making?

Master Diver

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Ed. Thank you very much. Yeah more than a year in the making. I owe Bryan, he is excellent, and patient. He has been good to me. I do like to think that I have made it up to him in a small way through the packing I use when I ship my regs to him. :lol:

Pictures, not a problem, as soon as I workout how to post them. I even have a short video too 8) .
Kim,

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Welcome aboard Kim. I'm looking forward to seeing your photo's as well! If you go to General discussions Bryan has a nice link that explains how to do that. It's pretty easy. Hey, have a nice summer!

Jim

Master Diver

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Here are the links to some photos and a video taken on my first DH dive (I hope that this works)

Regards Kim :D 8)

Kim,

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you like your Phoenix. I love mine and it's my primary go to reg. I will sort of have to dis-agree somewhat in that there are some jacket style BCD's that work good with DH regs. My Oceanic Baja BCD is great but some other are not. I have found out that the best way to go is with a backplate and wing system. I'm hoping that you will get like the rest of us and have multiple regs. Most of us have more than 5. I have 16 DH and 7 standard regs. You can never have to much dive gear. Happy diving.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:05 am

MK15diver wrote: Most of us have more than 5. I have 16 DH and 7 standard regs. You can never have to much dive gear. Happy diving.
Just like a lot of you, I too have my share of dive equipment and generally share that view that you can't have too many... with two exceptions:

1. When they're all clumped together in one area, then your wife walks in...
2. Tanks - when it comes time to hydro test them.

Otherwise, it's all good :D

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 am

Drado,

You make it seem like your doing something with the regs. "They are all clumped together and then you wife walks in" is probobly not something you should share with everyone else. If you built shelves then that would reduce the clumpage effect. As for the tanks I have the same problem.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:12 pm

MK15diver wrote:Drado,

You make it seem like your doing something with the regs. "They are all clumped together and then you wife walks in" is probobly not something you should share with everyone else. If you built shelves then that would reduce the clumpage effect. As for the tanks I have the same problem.
You all should take a lesson from Pearl Harbor. Don't clump your assets to close together! Makes an easy target for the Missus! Disperse, disperse! :shock: :lol:

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Well said... and you know that "she" does the same thing with her stuff :roll:

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Kim,

Welcome to the tribe of DH addicts. I'm sure the fever has hit, just how bad remains to be seen. :lol:

Keeping your DH goodies in a secret stash (or two or three) is a good practice to get into. It's not many of us who have willing partners who allow the family abode to become a DH scuba shrine or museum. Those few among us who can and do so, are truly blessed, while the rest of us have our tool shed, basement work bench or garage (and sometimes all three).

Here's to enjoying the summer down in Oz, while we are going through our winter.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”