treasureman
Master Diver

What is max IP anyone has set their Pheonix

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 pm

Byan had set my first pheonix up a while ago, and now it is apart being overhauled. Please klet me know what the best performance marks were when you set the IP.
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

captain
Plank Owner

Re: What is max IP anyone has set their Pheonix

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't much worry what the IP is. I crank it up until the second stage starts to freeflow a little and back it off just enough to stop the free flow, it usually ends up somewhere between 140 and 160
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 pm

captain wrote: somewhere between 140 and 160
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Your 2nd stage should be free flowing at 175-180 psi. That regulator should be pulling .75" wc @ 135-145 IP pressure. and .50" if you massage it a little.

Is your horseshoe binding? How is your lever height?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:58 am

I have run as high as 160 but don't consider this a stable setting for an everyday grab and go regulator, too jumpy. I usually set 145 psi and call it good plus or minus. Individual regulators seem to have personalities and like what they like.

James

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 am

I set my Phoenixs to 140, the reason being I set everything to 140. With a bunch of regs to service and new old regs on the bench all the time, it is just simpler to set everything the same. That way any first will go with any second stage......and I don't have to remember what it was set for, makes life easier. :)
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 am

After the 2nd revision of the Phoenix nozzle I did quite a bit of experimenting with IP settings and cracking effort. Even with my limited testing capabilities there was no real noticeable difference between 120 and 160 psi on the IP settings. The Phoenix flows a tremendous volume of air at any setting and as we have shown several times it can support multiple 2nd stages at the same time. Lately I have been opting for a lower IP pressure when setting them up. If I remember correctly the recommended settings for the Conshelf XIV is 130 to 160.. IMO set it anywhere in that range and you are good to go.

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Finally got some time to finish off the phoenix. I set the Ip at 150 and adjusted the horseshoe after having polished it to a mirror finish. On my magnehalic it breaks at half inch . The again my Ram breaks a touch over that, but it has always been an easy breather.

These new Pheonix nozzles have really been a boon for divi8ng. My 800 dollar plastic wonder can not hold a candle compared to this new Pheonix. It was overhauled last year and while it a easy breather it breaks close to .70 in the magnehalic. I use it for backup only Double hose all the way.
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Cracking effort is more related to the balance between the IP and the second stage spring pressure. The higher IP will potentially provide more flow capability but not much difference in cracking effort if the second stage is evenly balanced to the IP.
I like to set the horseshoe height then crank up the IP until it begins to free flow then back off the IP just enough to stop the freeflow. I don't much care what the IP is as long as it is above about 120.

I have a couple of DA Navys that crack at .5 but don't breath anywhere as good as an Aquamaster or RAM.
Captain

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”