2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Almost Kraken

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:47 pm

Got a set of Kraken Argonaut cans from Rob @ The Scuba Museum.
Put a Phoenix and HPR in them.
Will be diving it Monday.
IMG_1529-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Re: Almost Kraken

Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:43 am

Looks good. I picked up a set as well. I haven't decided what to do with them yet. There's no other DH divers in this country that I've seen. Parts are just as rare.

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:44 pm

Got to dive the reg Mon. and had several instances of the diaghragm and exhaust valve sticking together.
Cut a X out of some plastic shim stock and siliconed it to the diaghragm.
Dove it today and is working great.

I have not encountered this problem with my Kraken.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:29 pm

I had the same problem with my Kraken. I drew an x on the diaphragm with silicone sealant and that worked.

2THDIVR
Master Diver

Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:45 pm

I finally made a label for reg.
Keeping with the Kraken theme, I went with LUSCA, a half octopus and half shark.
Didn't like the sharktopus name and found it named a Lusca in Caribbean mythology.

LUSCA a deadly creature that prowls the deep and preys on the unsuspecting.
IMG_1545.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:57 pm

2THDIVR wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:44 pm
Got to dive the reg Mon. and had several instances of the diaghragm and exhaust valve sticking together.
Cut a X out of some plastic shim stock and siliconed it to the diaghragm.
Dove it today and is working great.
I have not encountered this problem with my Kraken.
Mooching about on the SCUBA Museum site revealed an updated Kraken exhaust valve is now available to correct the 'sticktion' issue to the main LP diaphragm:
On some very specific circumstances a wet exhaust valve inside the Kraken can, can become stuck to the main diaphragm rendering the regulator locked up. The regulator will not deliver air and the diver will not be able to start his dive until he opens his can and peels the valve away from the main diaphragm. ​
This will not likely happen while diving, but can happen on the boat just as you are getting ready and it can be super annoying.​
This specially designed replacement exhaust valve is made of food grade silicone and has a built in stand off that makes this rare but annoying occurrence impossible. ​
Installation is as easy as removing the original valve and lubing the stem of the new valve with some hand sanitizer and pulling it into place.​
You are buying one valve and supplies are limited so please be kind and only order the amount you need.​

http://www.thescubamuseum.com/Online%20 ... /597436658

Good to see this being addressed but I beg to differ on when and how it can happen, it has certainly occurred regularly underwater for both myself and others until corrected with the Apeks AP 1429 valve!
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:11 pm

I actually had that problem, but that article may be over exaggerated. I had no problem getting air. My problem was the exhaust valve being held open and flooding the hose. Actually, I think my breathing pulled the valve out and it was stuck to the main diaphragm like a suction cup. I fixed the issue by drawing an X on the main diaphragm with my trusty RTV Ultra Black silicone sealant. No problem since.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”