sonofnom
First Name: Steven

Kraken with full face mask

Wed May 06, 2020 10:31 pm

Does anyone have experience using the Kraken with a full face mask? I'm referring of course to ones that allow you to use your existing regulator with a pass through. I'm interested in testing my Kraken with an OTS Spectrum and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Kraken with full face mask

Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 am

I bought an OTS Spectrum specifically to use with one of my Argonaut Kraken. It works fine when I am in the swimming position, but the mask is too soft to hold back much over pressure. Therefore, it free-flows a little when I am in a vertical position and it free-flow a lot when I am on my back.

I have thought about de-tuning the regulator a little bit, but I have a hard time dealing with that concept, it is just not what I do. In any case I think that it would require a lot of de-tuning, probably more than I would find acceptable.

I need to play with it some more. Maybe try de-tuning it just a little.

I would like to try the Kirby Morgan Super-Mask, also sold by OTS under M-48 Super Mask. (Not the M-48 MOD-1)
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

sonofnom
First Name: Steven

Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm

I appreciate the insight. The kirby morgan masks look pretty nice as well. Why not the Mod-1 specifically though?

Edit: It appears the M-48 MOD-1 has an available mouthpiece with a rebreather style "Pod". Since you designed the DSV on the Kraken, which works extremely well, I was curious about what sort of compatibility the Kraken might have with the "Pod" DSV?

luis
VDH Moderator

Thu May 07, 2020 4:05 pm

I believe the “pods” are interchangeable between the two masks.

I know they have a rebreather “pod”, but I am not sure if it is available to the general public. It used to be that some of those were only available to the military, but I think that has changed.

I thought that OTS even had an adapter for a rebreather for either the Guardian or the Interspiro, but in that case, at one time, I was definitely told by an OTS rep. that is was for military use only.

I just don’t like the looks of the M-48 MOD-1, but reading the description it looks better.
I don’t like the split glass mask, but the description reads:
“The evolution of the mask has given way to a dramatic increase in visibility…”
Luis

polestar
First Name: Willis

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 pm

I own a Kirby Morgan M-48 with the MOD I POD. It is the military/ commercial version. I have mostly dived it with the Sherwood "new" Blizzard SHR. I recently took the Sherwood second stage off the POD and put the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece in the MOD I POD. It looks really badass. I haven't dived it yet with the Kraken. I am hoping to dive it next week.

I bought the Kirby Morgan MOD I from Hollis through Scuba.com, which is now owned by Leisurepro. I used to own an Ocean Reef FFM, but it didn't fit me well. I tried a friend's OTS Guardian, and I didn't like the fit. I owned an OTS Spectrum, and I not only didn't like the fit, I thought it was potentially dangerous to use because the rubber was too soft or pliable, and the mask would ride up over the chin of my dry hood.

Only the Kirby Morgan is a good fit for me. It is probably the safest FFM to dive in that you don't need to take the mask off for any reason. In an out-of-air situation, you pop the POD out and put in a regulator second stage that is hanging around your neck on a bungee.

I can even use a snorkel on the surface with the POD removed.

Be sure to read the manual! The regulator needs to pass the 25 lb weight test to see if it pulls free from the POD or stays put. The "old" Sherwood Magnum Blizzard will not pass the 25 lb test. The Kraken mouthpiece has the same "lip" on the mouthpiece as the Sherwood New Blizzard.

The POD has two catch positions: One "klick" acts like an SAV (Surface Air Valve), and the second "klick" seals the POD watertight to the mask for diving.

The only two things I don't like about the mask is the overall visibility; it is more narrow. It doesn't have the big visibility of an Ocean Reef or an OTS Guardian. And I don't like looking at my Scubapro G2 computer through one of the lenses only. The big nose piece makes it hard to see the computer with both eyes. I may buy a Scubapro HUD to solve that.

Otherwise, I feel 100% comfortable diving the Kirby Morgan MOD I. I feel at home in it.

luis
VDH Moderator

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:44 pm

polestar wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 pm
I own a Kirby Morgan M-48 with the MOD I POD. It is the military/ commercial version. I have mostly dived it with the Sherwood "new" Blizzard SHR. I recently took the Sherwood second stage off the POD and put the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece in the MOD I POD. It looks really badass. I haven't dived it yet with the Kraken. I am hoping to dive it next week.

We need pictures. :)
Luis

polestar
First Name: Willis

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Who do I upload or send pictures of me with my Kraken connected to my Kirby Morgan? Can I upload pictures to this website?

If you go to this dive club website, there are two pictures of me with the Kraken and the Kirby Morgan MOD I:

https://uniteddiversofnewhampshire.wildapricot.org/.

I dove the Argonaut Kranken connected to the Kirby Morgan (M-48) MOD In Dublin Lake (aka Dublin Pond on the topo map) in Dublin, New Hampshire. the dive went very well. I felt very comfortable in the FFM with the Kraken. I did drills removing the POD and inserting a single-hose regulator second stage in my mouth. I didn't do any clearing of the Kraken underwater, and I didn't remove the entire FFM and put it on underwater.

I mostly wanted to see how it was diving. I will do more underwater bail-out drills underwater. I am comfortable diving a DHR, but I need to work more with safety bailouts to have 100% confidence in the equipment I am diving with such as a newer FFM. :D

I did the recommended Kirby Morgan 25-lb weight test with the Kraken, and it did not pull free; so, it passed that safety test. I would definitely say that this is a diveable combination for cold-water and ice diving or simply for show or for comfort underwater.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”