eskimo3883
Master Diver

Frogmen, The true Story of My Journeys with JCY and the Crew

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 am

Frogmen, The true Story of My Journeys with JCY and the Crew of the Calypso, Richard E. Hyman, Iron Press, 2011

I was immediately put off to the book after reading the PR version of JCY’s early life but as soon as the stories moved towards the day to day life on the Calypso it read very true to life. I believe it is based on journals written back in the day by the author. It reads like being there told with both the good and the bad. I really enjoyed the book and the honesty throughout the book. I highly recommend it to anyone like myself who grew up wanting to be what the author was.

My favorite quote:
(1n 1975); we don’t have a single BC on the ship. Our equipment is rudimentary. We strap lead to our belts, an air tank or two on our backs, connect a regulator, and don fins. Only one or two of us carry a depth gauge and watch. For protection we sometimes strap knives to our calves or carry a homemade shark stick, a stick with a nail on the end, to push away sharks.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Frogmen, The true Story of My Journeys with JCY and the

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 am

eskimo3883 wrote:My favorite quote:
(1n 1975); we don’t have a single BC on the ship. Our equipment is rudimentary. We strap lead to our belts, an air tank or two on our backs, connect a regulator, and don fins. Only one or two of us carry a depth gauge and watch. For protection we sometimes strap knives to our calves or carry a homemade shark stick, a stick with a nail on the end, to push away sharks.
I also dive the same way but the stick with a nail that I carry is to push away carp.
They are the apex predator where I dive...

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks for the recommendation; I’ve been looking for a next good read. Finished “Stars Beneath the Sea” and “Descent into Darkness” this winter and was hoping something else good would come along. I’m embarrassed to admit how long it has been since I sat down and actually read a book, book (pretty sure I made it through 7 years of college and a master’s degree and never did :roll: ) but I’ve had to really be after my Son to work on his reading lately and what’s good for the goose... as they say. Funny how much it helps to turn the pages when you’re actually interested in the subject matter! :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

frogmen
First Name: Richard

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the nice words about my book, FROGMEN. I found it interesting that you weren't wild about the up front words about JYC but I was sort of trying to share some history and set the stage, particularly for readers that might not know of him. I'm glad that as you got into it that you liked it even more. I'll try to circle back here for more thoughts and questions but feel free to email [email protected] and check out my web site, Facebook, Twitter, etc. as well. Richard
www.richardehyman.com

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”