WORLD'S WORST DIVING BOOK- NOVEL

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:09 pm

In the very late 1960s a woman who was employeed by a friend was fasinated by diving; she had been a Sea Hunt fan, was a regular viewer of the JYC programs--but was not a diver. She begin reading a book by James Jones and became even more fasinated with diving.

A book was introduced in 1967 that has all but been forgotten in the literary and diving world. It was one that was according to reports a book that was spell binding, one that explores human relationships; love, passion, deceit and greed.

The book:

"Go to the widow maker"
James Jones. 1967, no ISBN or LCC #s, Delacrote Press, 640 pages (!)

For those of you not familar with James Jones let me refresh your memories, He was one of the best known most respected novelist of the the 1950s and 1960s --"Go to the widow maker" was his last published work before he passed away.

He previously published four other books;

1) From here to eternity,
Which was made into two movies
a) first one --Lancaster & Kerr starring--1950s
b) second one--Devane & Natalie Woods starring 1970s

2) Some came running
a) Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, & Shirley McClain-starring-1970s (?)

3) The thin Red Line
a) Shaun Penn, and others starring --2000 (?)

4) The Pistol, not certain if a movie has been produced.

So James Jones was a very respected novelist who chose to write about diving.

I have had the book for 3-4 possiblely 5 years. Read a little, put it down, few months later read a little and put it down--I am on page 290 only 350 pages to reach the end at 640 pages..Not exactly a" can't put down" book

Don't wait for me it, I may never finish it,

However, as I understand it is a "Womans story," so might want to aquire a copy for the S/O to read while you are diving..

We can thank James Jones and his book for one thing. He gave diving and the world the phrase "Widow maker."

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”