Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Dumb question on correct pronounciation

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Ok guys, I gots a stupid question for you.

How is the Voit "Trieste" pronounced (Yes Bill, I know how to pronounce "Voit," it's the other word I was wondering about).

I know Trieste is a village in Italy and Italians pronounce it TRES-TEE.

Bob Ballard calls the Bathyscaph Trieste - TREE-EST

The Spanish say TREE-EST-A

I was working on a video of my rebuild of a Voit Trieste (no comments please) and wanted to pronounce it correctly.

Thoughts?

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Dumb question on correct pronounciation

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 pm

My vote is: TREE-EST

The Italian pronunciation is: Tree-Est-Eh (though one might think that is the Canadian pronunciation too.... :P )
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 pm

That's a darned good question that I have fumbled with for years! I tend to use something similar to the Italian pronunciation, but more like "Tre-est-ee". I commonly hear others call it something like "Trest" or "Tre-est"... so I generally try to avoid even saying the word so I won't sound stupid. :?

I can't help but think that we should go with an Italian pronunciation version like Bob mentions, but looking forward to hearing from others.
The older I get the better I was.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm
How is the Voit "Trieste" pronounced Thoughts? Mark
As a native speaker of British English as well as a student of European languages, I would have no hesitation in pronouncing the name of the city of Trieste in northeastern Italy as "triːˈɛst" (tree-est). I know it is pronounced "triˈɛste" (tree-estay) in Italian, but who would call, say, Moscow "Moskva" in English even though that's the name of the Russian capital in Russian? It sounds "over the top" to me to insist on the Italian pronunciation of Trieste when giving the brand name of a regulator named after the city but made in the USA. This said, I tend to cringe when Hollywood stars pronounce "homage" as "oh-maaj" instead of "homij" because the former sounds pretentious to my ears, so perhaps I'm a little biased.

David

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:11 pm

All good points, and I have no problem with "Tree-est" over the three syllable version, and it's even easier to say. But my dear wife, being fully one-half Italian, will probably give me grief over my gaffe (is that "gaff" or "gaff-eh"?) I guess if she was also part Canadian there would be no doubt how she would say both those words.

Now I'm beginning to wonder just how Mark pronounces "Voit".
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

I pronounce it Tree - est. But I am usually wrong.... just ask my wife. Lol

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:42 am

From my research it appears that the Voit Trieste was named after the Bathyscaphe Trieste which was named after the city in Italy where it was built. The American pronunciation is TREE-EST.

Not that I really care and I've already wasted too much of my life on it but my research found this link which gives the pronunciation in a bunch of languages.

carehttps://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Bathyscaphe%20Trieste

I'm going with the USA version for now.

Drop mic, exit stage.  M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:03 pm

TREE-EST is my vote.

:-) About a year ago, I brought my favorite 72 to my LDS for a fill. The manager, wanting to impress me with his vintage knowledge says, "Wow! a VOLT tank, I haven't seen a VOLT tank in years!"

I think I'll see if I can find an a/c adapter to fill it next time.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm

couv wrote:
TREE-EST is my vote.

:-) About a year ago, I brought my favorite 72 to my LDS for a fill. The manager, wanting to impress me with his vintage knowledge says, "Wow! a VOLT tank, I haven't seen a VOLT tank in years!"

I would have said, "VOLT, Watts that?" Clearly the guy was not "current " in his vintage knowlege. You could have AMPED up the discussion by showing him the + stamp and turning the conversation from being NEGATIVE to being POSITIVE.... I'll be here all week folks... :)

P.S. Did he CHARGE you for the fill?

couv
Master Diver

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:00 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
couv wrote:
TREE-EST is my vote.

I would have said, "VOLT, Watts that?" Clearly the guy was not "current " in his vintage knowlege. You could have AMPED up the discussion by showing him the + stamp and turning the conversation from being NEGATIVE to being POSITIVE.... I'll be here all week folks... :)

Time for you to go ohm and practice law. I just could not resist saying that. It gauss without saying, Joule know what I mean if you think about it; but now my head Hertz.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv21vn
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:58 pm

couv wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:00 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
couv wrote:
TREE-EST is my vote.

Time for you to go ohm and practice law. I just could not resist saying that. It gauss without saying, Joule know what I mean if you think about it; but now my head Hertz.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv21vn
Your response was not shocking to me. I am well grounded in the subject. Knowledge is power..... (I'll stop now...) 8)

Danny D
Lung Diver

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 am

As a speaker of Italian I would say.... Tah-ree -ess-tay

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”