luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 pm

My LDS had some pool time yesterday so I took the opportunity to play and adjust the trim weight location on my hose assembly. I should have had a small mirror to see and get immediate feedback on the hose shape and configuration. It was too late when I thought about the mirror, so instead I improvised and used my camera to take selfies and view the configuration.

Below are some of the selfies I took and one picture that John took with my camera. Notice that some weight rings are hanging with a Velcro strap in different spots.

Next Saturday we are doing another pool session. I will have a mirror and should have better feedback.

Here is a picture that I took of John testing his new Voit 50 Fathom (new to him) .

Here is John with his daughter. Obviously this has nothing to do with double hose regulator, but it is nice to see new young divers taking to the water.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 am

Nice photos Luis. I can see that young ladies smile around the regulator!

The Fire Dept. Dive team goes to the pool once a year for a PFT and to test a variety of gear: I always use that time to test rebuilt gear and I usually bring extra DH regs for people to try. If your experience is similar to mine, then you likely have a few folks wanting to dive the "Old" stuff for kicks.

Here's a friends son doing a don and doff with my Cyclone equipped Voit Navy

This is the former LDS owner.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Looks like a good time was had by all!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:07 am

Only a couple more days to get in on the DSV advanced order list! Thanks to all who have jumped in with the team already :D

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/A ... y=15494002
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your support! I have the DSV pre-orders closed now and I'll do the final tally as I get time between now and New Years. I'll be speaking with the manufacturer next week to finalize the details for the mold and sample mouthpieces. :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:19 am

Curious as to how many jumped on the private pre-order campaign compared to the public crowd-fund for the Kraken. I hope it was as successful as you needed.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:38 am

rhwestfall wrote:Curious as to how many jumped on the private pre-order campaign compared to the public crowd-fund for the Kraken. I hope it was as successful as you needed.
Surprisingly they were about equal. I figured there would be more participants since the cost was so much lower. The project will still require a significant investment of capitol on my part but the support of the group really makes the burden easier to shoulder. It will push back the availability of new Argonauts a bit but I kinda expected that.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Bryan wrote:
rhwestfall wrote:Curious as to how many jumped on the private pre-order campaign compared to the public crowd-fund for the Kraken. I hope it was as successful as you needed.
Surprisingly they were about equal. I figured there would be more participants since the cost was so much lower. The project will still require a significant investment of capitol on my part but the support of the group really makes the burden easier to shoulder. It will push back the availability of new Argonauts a bit but I kinda expected that.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
I would think the vast majority jumped in as supporters, not customers - i.e. cost was never the primary motivation, even though it does matter to a point. I would also guess many DH divers simply don't see the need for a DSV, however neat it is (after scaring a dozen or so instabuddys with my freeflows at the surface I definitely do :mrgreen: ).

Also really curious to see the effect of the venturi flow enhancer you guys designed. Can the best breather breathe even better?

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Pedro wrote:
Also really curious to see the effect of the venturi flow enhancer you guys designed. Can the best breather breathe even better?
Just a bit. :)
Actually, after adjusting the venturi to play with the flow diverter, it will guaranty that you will get all the air you could ever need without any extra effort, no matter how hard you are working or how deep you are. The effort is actually lower once you initiate the flow (at any depth).
Luis

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Over a week ago we had another pool session and I tried a few more things. This time I had a mirror so I could see the hose loop and regulator while I was testing it.

I had three separate kits with different regulators to test side-by-side. One had a traditional curved mouthpiece with a Argonaut well tuned for that hose-loop. The other two had prototypes DSV with flow diverters and the venturi tuned for it.

I also tested less hose weights in different configurations, and this time I added a chin-pad.

The chin-pad worked great. With it I was able to reproduce very close to the same feeling I get with the curved mouthpiece (which is my favorite vintage mouthpiece). Note: both the curved and the Voit hourglass mouthpiece have a similar resting area on my chin when I use either.

Here is reduced weights and the chin-pad:

Here is my comparison reference point, the curved mouthpiece. I went back and forth several times to check many detail of the hose-loop geometry.
Note: the string on the exhaust hose is holding a mouthpiece plug.

Here is the other regulator and hose loop. You may notice the mirror on my hand.

John’s daughter was photo bombing, :lol:
while I am checking my rig.

In this shot I also tried some weights on the mouthpiece itself. If you look closely, you may see the chin-pad on the bottom back of the mouthpiece.

Here is the prototype chin-pad. I just used some hard foam I have that came with sticky-back tape. It took me a moment to put it together.

The use of the chin-pad goes a long ways toward not needing any hose weights or at least reducing the amount needed. I still like lowering the hose loop, but it may become more of a personal preference.
Luis

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Adding a chin pad seems like a very logical addition -- one that makes a lot of sense since it would reduce the torsion on the mouthpiece by bracing the mouthpiece against the chin. Great idea!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:33 am

Got word from the mold maker that they are about 3 weeks away from production samples....WOO HOO

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:52 pm

If they arrive before 2/13, I would be happy to test one in Bonaire for a week! ;-)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 pm

bbain wrote:If they arrive before 2/13, I would be happy to test one in Bonaire for a week! ;-)
I expect Herman will have one of the printed samples in Bonaire but the mold to manufacture them in is still being made. March is optimistic for delivery but I have my fingers crossed. I spoke with the mold maker last week and they tell me they are on track.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:52 pm

can't wait - literally, can't....

I was looking at an Ice Diving Cert in March... would have been cool to have it for the class as I was thinking of showing up with the Kraken.....

great to see things moving forward.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”