ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Question on Scubapro valve

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 pm

antique diver wrote:That's funny. Maybe you should lock the garage door before performing questionable acts on your gear. :D
I was just doing what some guy on the internet asked me to do. What could possibly go wrong with that? :D :shock:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Comedy Gold......
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Ok, same project. Just noticed why the manifold was so cheep. Someone mounted the valve orifice-up/knob down. Apparently they also dropped it on something hard. If you look at the pic you can see where it is bent. Regulator won't fit. Argh!

Anyone have an extra center-piece/valve? I have all the internals if that helps.

Thanks, Mark. (BTW - Happy 4th !!!)
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:32 pm

You can most likely bump that out, I have done it in the past. Get an appropriate size cold chisel and grind it to the curvature of the valve, round any sharp edges and gently start tapping out the ding.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Be patient getting the shape of the tool right first. If you are lucky the chrome will stay put instead of flaking off since it has some flexibility.
I have had to touch up the inside edge lightly with a dremel tool afterward, but the grinding is a good way to permanently ruin the seal if you are not careful. And of course the chrome will be gone too. Use a really fine tip and steady hand if you do that. Too bad you're not a dentist. :?
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:04 pm

This would not be my 1st choice but I've done it in the past with success. Take an old first stage with a heavy yoke and knob that you can get a good grip on. Slowly tighten the first stage down and it just might push the dent back out. I have done this on USD valves that have had wrenches put on them the wrong way but never the heavy Scubapro type.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Tanks and Valves”