Dave2
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Mini Doubles Tank Options

Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

(My apologies if this has been covered, but I did a search and went back four pages in this forum)

Thanks to Rob at The Scuba Museum, this USD rebuilt solid manifold will arrive at my house in a few days:

I want to assemble a set of mini-doubles with new tanks. Current options are:
- Faber HP40's
- Faber LP50's
- Luxfer AL40's

Paired with VDH back plate, Dive Gear Express stainless tank bands, and Hog Edge 35# doubles donut wing (optional).

I'm planning on using them in fresh water only, mostly under 75*F, diving a wetsuit (5/7mm max), and possibly a Hydroglove some day. I'm 5'11", 210lbs.

What's the best option?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Mini Doubles Tank Options

Fri May 15, 2015 3:53 pm

See my thread...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8035

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Dave2
Lung Diver

Fri May 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks Mark,

Why did you decide on the HP40's?

How tall are you?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri May 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Dave2 wrote:Thanks Mark,

Why did you decide on the HP40's?

How tall are you?
Q1. I wanted the shortest length possible and the HP 40's just happened to fall off the back of the right truck at the right dive show at the right time for the right price (long story - requires beer). Q2. 6 feet if you count the barnacles on my soul(er, soles). Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Dave2
Lung Diver

Sat May 16, 2015 4:58 am

Mark, did you use the standard bolts to attach the tank bands to the VDH plate?

I'm leaning toward the HP40's for the negative buoyancy factor and the tanks are cheaper than the LP50's.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat May 16, 2015 10:29 am

I just used the standard bolts. It takes a lot of trial and error to make sure the bolts remain flush with the back plate.I just went to the hardware store and bought some counter set stainless steel flathead nuts (sorry, I can't remember their technical name). anyway, I did have to drill another hole in the VDH backplate to accommodate the short stature of the twin 40's. I also rebuilt the entire solid bar manifold. It was quite the learning experience, but I had a lot of fun doing it. Mark

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat May 16, 2015 6:53 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:....I just went to the hardware store and bought some counter set stainless steel flathead nuts (sorry, I can't remember their technical name). Mark
It sounds like you used T-Nuts, aka Tee-Nuts.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat May 16, 2015 7:24 pm

antique diver wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:....I just went to the hardware store and bought some counter set stainless steel flathead nuts (sorry, I can't remember their technical name). Mark
It sounds like you used T-Nuts, aka Tee-Nuts.
WEBPAGE_20150516_161351.jpg
These guys. Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat May 16, 2015 10:01 pm

That's it.
The older I get the better I was.

Dave2
Lung Diver

Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 am

Thank you gentlemen.

Edit...

Stainless Steel Round Base Tee Nut 3/8-16
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hillman-Group ... l_huc_item

Stainless Steel Round Base Tee Nut 5/16-18
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAVJEOO/ref ... OXKRLH0BIM

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun May 17, 2015 1:53 am

You might have to ream out the holes on the VDH backplate slightly. I did on one and the other tee-nut I just whacked into place with a rubber mallet.Mark. Oh, and you are welcome. Always happy to get my 2psi in.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”