kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Should I Buy These?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 am

Do you think these tanks are worth my time?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/4290057125.html

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Should I Buy These?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am

I would make an arrangement with the seller for a refund if they dont pass hydro. I think that is a good price although it has been cobbled together with mismatched bands.
Assuming they made it through hydro I would clean clean up the tanks, give them a coat of galvite and put on new bands and a cotton harness and dive the heck out of them.

kworkman
Master Diver

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am

They are a nice little Voit set. How is galvite different from the rustoleum cold galvanizing compound?

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 am

kworkman wrote:They are a nice little Voit set. How is galvite different from the rustoleum cold galvanizing compound?
Like day and night.
Captain

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:20 pm

- Should You Buy Those? YES!
- Will They Be Worth Your Time? YES!
- Am I crazy? YES! :roll:
Image Image Image Image
- Before and After pictures of another double tank fixer-upper. Ratty looking old tanks CAN clean up nice.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Just in case you don't know, some older tanks had a tapered valve fitting and needs something like teflon tape on the threads. These are tapered threads. Also, these may be 1800 psi tanks. Nothing wrong with either but you need to be aware of them before you buy. I have a set of 1800psi tanks and I will not allow anyone in a dive shop to fill them, there is just too much chance of them filling them to 2250 or worse 3000. On the other hand, they are easy to fill off a couple of half used 80s which is what I often do.
Herman

kworkman
Master Diver

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Would the fire dept. fill them? My double 72s are 1/2 tapered.

kworkman
Master Diver

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 pm

So what is the difference between galvanite and cold galvanizing compound? The mfg said one is equivalent to a hot dip galvanize and the other is for repairs.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

kworkman wrote:Would the fire dept. fill them? My double 72s are 1/2 tapered.
I see no reason not, just be darn careful that whoever is doing it understands the correct pressure....looking back at the Voit catalogs it appears they are 1800psi.
Herman

crimediver
Master Diver

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Galvite is the way to go. It will protect your tanks. Other coatings such as the Rustoleum will come right off. You can scrape it off with a fingernail and it just is not suited for scuba cylinders. You can search the site for galvite and learn a lot about it. That manifold post needs to be flipped for DH use.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 pm

What Crimediver said, also don't use the Galvilite in the spray can, you can't get enough film thickness, it needs 3 coats rolled on. FYI, if the tanks are 50's they will be rated 2250 psi and they are some heavy little buggers. I had a set, they were 12 lb negative when full compared to 8 lbs negative for double 72's. Too negative for me.

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/index.php/p ... -galvilite
Captain

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 am

captain wrote:FYI, if the tanks are 50's they will be rated 2250 psi and they are some heavy little buggers. I had a set, they were 12 lb negative when full compared to 8 lbs negative for double 72's. Too negative for me.
- There certainly are some big differences in buoyancy on these little tanks... Surprising when they all look so similar on first glance. I know my Sportsways 42s are significantly heavier than my USD 38s... But I've been able to square them away with the addition of a hooded vest to my 3mm wetsuit. I don't think I could go any heavier though. With a 5mm suit the suit compression at depth pretty much requires some sort of BCD... And I'd need 5mm to keep from sinking if my tanks got any heavier. My buoyancy comparision on the USD 38s vs Sportways 42s is at viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7152: The 42s were about 8 lbs negative when full of air and the 38s were 2.4 lbs negative when full of air.
- BTW Vintagediver Terry has been diving Voit Twin 50s and might have some good advice.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I hope by now you have purchased those tanks. After showing everyone where they are located, etc., they will most likely be gone if you haven't got them yet. Sometimes asking so many questions is good, however, it I was anywhere near Columbus, you helped locate a nice set. Move on them asap.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 pm

simonbeans wrote:I hope by now you have purchased those tanks. After showing everyone where they are located, etc., they will most likely be gone if you haven't got them yet. Sometimes asking so many questions is good, however, if I was anywhere near Columbus, you helped locate a nice set. Move on them asap.
This ^^^^
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Yep, I WAS trying to line up a meeting with the guy last month when I was driving through Columbus but the weather made it not happen. I really hate winter.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”