eskimo3883
Master Diver

tanks with external threads?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 pm

There is a set of triples on ebay with outside threads. Were these for CO2 or O2? Any issue with using one of these or having one pass a hydro?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: tanks with external threads?

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I'll bet you a buck they have "standard" inside threads too.

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:06 pm

swimjim wrote:I'll bet you a buck they have "standard" inside threads too.

Jim

Some may have internal threads, but not the ones that I have seen. I don't know about the PST ones that are on eBay at the moment.

My LDS does a lot of hydro for the two local life raft service centers. Many of the tanks they hydro are European. The tanks are normally small (similar to the ones on eBay, or shorter), but the external threads is not uncommon.

Back in the 70's (while working at Divers Service Center in PR), I helped a guy put together a set of triples with external threads. He said the tanks were surplus WW2 German flame thrower tanks. I don't remember what the markings read, but he had his own compressor so I was not concern about filling them.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:32 pm

eskimo3883 wrote:There is a set of triples on ebay with outside threads. Were these for CO2 or O2? Any issue with using one of these or having one pass a hydro?

I have two sets of similar external thread triples I got at a yard sale a while back. I had a friend who owns a hydro shop and he was able to get an adapter to hydro the tanks and they passed with flying colors. I refurbished one set and am planning to do the 2nd one soon. I'm not sure but I believe they are 40cu tanks and are rated for 2100 psi. Attached are photos of the triples from start to finish.

new sets just back from the yard sale

close up of the external threads & unique manifold

new set all refurbished & ready to go

me taking the new set out for maiden voyage

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks FishnBeer for posting your story and photos. Your external thread tanks are beautiful.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”