sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

found a "Vigo Aqua Lung"

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I purchased a cheater bar type manifold on squiee Bay and this came with the package. My plan is to set it up DIR style and use for a drysuit inflator hose and octo reg. That way I can dive my Healthways single stage reg here in Alaska and still stay comfy warm.

These pictures didn't turn out too good, but the date on the tank looks to be '43 and it has US GOVT stamped on the neck. It was hydro'd again in 1960 and the valve is a 1959. These were sold in the 1959 catalog as a shallow water training aid. It came with the plastic(vinyl) harness it still wears along with an aqua matic side exhaust reg.

The tank is 18 cu. ft. at 1800psi. So far, I've only pumped it up to 600 psi, but it's been holding it for over a week now.

I am assuming the tanks are war surplus oxygen tanks that were picked up on the cheap by USD.

I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: found a "Vigo Aqua Lung"

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Please drain and look inside this tank before pressurizing it again. Better yet, give it a good inspection and if corrosion free have it hydro tested.

I know this may sound overly cautious, but consider the consequences of a very old cylinder sitting with even just a little water in it for 40 or 50 years. That happened more commonly in the early years of the sport as folks were still learning the ropes about compressors, filters, and moisture in tanks. One of the same 3A1800 carbon steel tanks (same USD labeled unit) blew at a local dive shop at about 1000 psi many years ago (late 60's), due to extreme internal corrosion. Internal inspections were not commonly done back then. I personally saw this tank several years later, and was amazed at how thin the metal was in places from the corrosion. It was split the entire length, including up through the threads and halfway through the bottom curve, and turned partly inside out along the side. Luckily, no one was near it when it exploded.

Hopefully you will be lucky and have a good clean & safe cylinder. That's a nice find, having the full set complete with regulator as sold by USD. I hope to find one some day myself.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”