8dust
Master Diver

Re: 1/2 Taper Thread Tanks

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 pm

That's a nice looking kit Geoff. I really like the look of that backpack... is it an aluminum plate? I'm guessing it post-dates? the moulded shell style similar to the snugpac that Nemrod offered... so the tank is a good bit older than the plate? or do I have all that completely backwards?

Thanks too for your imput on the tank color in my related thread. I knew I had seen one somewhere. It looks lighter than "porch floor" grey, maybe closer to "filing cabinet" grey? Makes a nice contrast with the B/W label.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I am not totally familiar with the exact process that was done to remove the liner. It was chemically removed, then thoroughly flushed, then aired out for a while, then tumbled with several medias. There was no detectable trace of odor when I got it back. Nonetheless I warmed the tank and ran a hose off a filled 80 at a slow rate over a day to make sure it was aired out. I have read people question removal chemically, but I am thoroughly certain all traces have been flushed before I even got it back.

The backplate is aluminum and I believe original to it (though I could be mistaken). I have seen several other pictures of similar setups.
-Geoff

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, there's yours:

and there is this kind:

Yours looks to me like this one, from the '73 cat. in the download section:

I was thinking that 1/2" valves and dimpled bottoms were late 50's ? Either way, that plate/pack style you have is just what I'd like to go with MY new '66.
Image :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

That's a verrrry shiny tank there you got, Freddo!

Info?

8dust
Master Diver

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm

CHROME 8)

USD 72. Sadly, it had a rubber boot and was very rotten underneath, but it makes for a most excellent display stand. It also comes in handy when I dress up as a Cylon. :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:14 am

Chrome :D

I thought you went and did something similar to what ZKY (Eric of Freedom Plate fame) to an aluminum tank where he took a lot of time and rouge to polish it up to mirror shine.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”