time2dive
Vintage Diver

Re: Illegal burst disc????

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:34 pm

They should be able to hydro the cylinder. The hydro is not a function of the valve. What we would do is hydro the cylinder, if it passed stamp it but not put a visual sticker on the cylinder or tighten the valve. Most burst disks of that era are 3/8" and any modern 3/8" burst disk should fit..... assuming that we could get the old one out.

Tim
Cranky old man, diver, photographer, scarer of children
http://www.kona-hydrostatic-testing.com/

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes there are legal burst disc/retaining plug systems available for your valve. Any dive shop operator with a brain can find one. If your LDS can't or won't, I seriously doubt that they should be servicing your equipment. :roll:

If you will post a photo of your valve, I am sure that any number of us on the forum will be pleased to help you with those items if the shop won't. Feel free to contact me via email if you need further info or help.
The older I get the better I was.

crimediver
Master Diver

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:15 pm

You'll shoot your eye out!
I replaced my old ones with a burst disc. Not a big deal.
As stated before it has nothing to do withthe hydro however.
As a rule I normally remove all my valves, bushings, etc before sending my tanks for hydro. It is less trouble and I don't get my valves damaged by over torquing, etc.

mistral
Skin Diver
First Name: Russ

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

Andy... this is so typical of the new breed of dive store operators... seems thier mantra is" If I can't dazzle you with brillance.... I'll baffle you with bulls**t " Your 1/2" tapered thread has NOTHING to do with the hydrotest of the cylinder. Also, any dive store operator, worth his salt, can easily find and install the proper burst disc assembly.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 am

If it weren't for the liability it would be great to be able to name shops that exhibit stupidity and incompetence.
Your valve probably has the 3/8" single hole disc retainer and needs to be replaced with the 3 hole retainer. Get it yourself here, and find another dive shop.

http://www.onlinescuba.com/2250-PSI-38- ... P6215.aspx
Captain

Scuba Cowboy
Master Diver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 am

Ditto to all the above replies. When I take a tank in for hydro, I don't even take the valve.
Dale Swift

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:46 pm

You may have the old 'bullet' burst valve. Illegal is a poor term as it implies police arrest. It is not a criminal offense, just a safety issue. The modern burst disc system has the same thread as the old ones and they are easy to install. Any professional SCUBA repair station should have them. Dive shops are rarely considered professional repair stations.

There is a correct combination of copper disc inside and the stamped cap on the out side. If you have a spare valve with the right burst stamp on it, you can just use that. The gauge of the copper disc inside and the diameter of the orifice in the cap is what gives a burst at the required pressure. Don't double disc a cap, because it defeats the purpose of the system. However, European valves do not have burst discs at all. The idea originated in the USA and is used in Australia and New Zealand.

The old ones can be a bit unsafe as they do come out, but they are not a bullet. There is another one you should avoid as well. In that one, the cap is just a tube. When the disc bursts, the air jets out without side deflection, like the modern ones. This causes the tank to jump around. I had a set of triples blow a disc while in the back of my Land Rover. I came back to the car to find the tanks had flipped and twisted the manifold. That was a U.S. Divers 1954 triple 44cu ft, 2800 psi set. Over heated tanks in a closed car can blow a disc and you could come back and find your wind shields popped out if the other windows were all closed. Steve.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”