floatingpi
Lung Diver
First Name: Mike

Tank Harness ??

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Got a call from the shop and my tanks are good to go. So I am excited about that and will be picking them up Saturday! I really wanted to make a harness for the triples. It had a backpack attached to it, but I want a harness. The bands and everything should work just fine. However, looking at those photos of the triples with harnesses looks like an shoulder eye bolt used. Looks like its secures the bands and is where the harness attaches to. Whats the size of the bolts? Seen a few websites where I can order the bolts easily. Anyone with one of those triples with a harness can help me out? I am guessing from what I seen if I order a 3/8 - 4-1/4" I should be "ok". Thanks for the help!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Re: Tank Harness ??

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Allan can make you one for a fraction of what you will spend doing it yourself says I!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:Allan can make you one for a fraction of what you will spend doing it yourself says I!
Excellent advice! 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Wow thats completely the opposite for all my other Powwow dance regalia! So much cheaper for me to make my own instead of buying one. I might try that however I really like having projects to work on. Knowing how to build something also means knowing how to fix it when it breaks. However, I will keep that in mind and try to shoot an email his direction.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Cost for cotton harness for triples of your choice of color (Navy Blue was US Divers color) is $40 w/o bolts. With bolts, $44.00 plus USPS Priority shipping. Custom sized for you with all mounting directions with a 2 day turn-around time. Let me know if you are interested.
Allan

Sets of triples with my harnesses.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Allan's harnesses R O C K! You will spend $40 bucks in gas trying to find the stuff to make one!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I was wondering Allan, how many triples have you brought back to life now that you have been making them for 5 or more years?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Check out the fat kid with the yellow triples and the hydroglove drysuit on...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 am

Any trip for anything costs $40 for me! Live way to far out in the country. So I get the hint he has has some great quality work, so I went out and sent a PM about the harness!

I also see what you guys where talking about when you said triples club! Where are those photos taken? I assume at one of the gatherings during the summer?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:27 am

Pictures were taken in 2009 at the Portage, OH event.
I sent you a reply via PM with my personal email. If you can not get to your PM messages, as you sort of play around through your profile, then go to the store and follow the links to me in the harness section. I will email you back measurement methods and we will be good to go. How's Student Teaching going? Long time and a life ago I did that. Spent 35 years in the classroom and never regreted a minute. Good choice.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 am

Got the PM alright and email sent.

Student teaching is going really well. Have good days and bad days, its because of me and not the kids. Luckily all the bad days can be fixed when I teach something wrong so they get it. Have a really good group of 6th graders, really going to hate leaving them when I have to head down to the lower grades to finish up the student teaching.

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I have always wanted a set of triples but never had a chance to get a set. Well, Captain told me how to make a triples manifold out of a USD J-60 3/4" post valve, a J-62 doubles 3/4" manifold and 2 sets of 3.5" CGA 540 nipples and nuts. Here it is:

The spacing in 5 and 3/8" on center which is just about right for aluminum Luxifer 30's, but too tight for Catalina's. I'm looking to see if I can find 4" nipples which should work for Catalina 30's or maybe for Luxifer 40's. Triple 40's do sound sweet for some of the wrecks I do in the 110-140 foot range.

Now, who can make me up a set of triples bands?
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

floatingpi
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Gilldiver wrote:I have always wanted a set of triples but never had a chance to get a set. Well, Captain told me how to make a triples manifold out of a USD J-60 3/4" post valve, a J-62 doubles 3/4" manifold and 2 sets of 3.5" CGA 540 nipples and nuts. Here it is:

The spacing in 5 and 3/8" on center which is just about right for aluminum Luxifer 30's, but too tight for Catalina's. I'm looking to see if I can find 4" nipples which should work for Catalina 30's or maybe for Luxifer 40's. Triple 40's do sound sweet for some of the wrecks I do in the 110-140 foot range.

Nice, I was thinking I might have had to do the same thing till I lucked out. Pretty sweet you where able to get something together. Put a finish coat on it an you wouldn't be able to tell.

I just got the tanks back nice to see those 09 10 hydro stamps and visual stickers on all three tanks. now getting the valves on and without leaking and I will be happy!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Gilldiver wrote:I have always wanted a set of triples but never had a chance to get a set. Well, Captain told me how to make a triples manifold out of a USD J-60 3/4" post valve, a J-62 doubles 3/4" manifold and 2 sets of 3.5" CGA 540 nipples and nuts. Here it is:

I have just about given up on finding a triple manifold, but I'd like to give a try at building one like that. Did you braze or silver solder or ??? to join the nipples to the center valve? Any hint would be appreciated before I tear up a valve! Thanks! :)
The older I get the better I was.

Gilldiver
Master Diver

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Cut off the J-valve section, Drill and tap the J-60 for 1/4" NPT. The nipples are already threaded to 1/4" NPT, tin the threads, and screw them in using some heat to keep the solder flowing. Then a final sweat solder bead to make it look nice.

Tom, AKA Captain, came up with the idea and did his using a metal lathe (he also has a version that recreates the Sherwood Shelpack 2 post manifold). I did my triple manifold with hand tools and a drill press (Tom's way is much better). The first one I screwed up as I went in too far and hit the blow out plug section - trashed the valve body. My second attempt was much better and what you see. But I was still a little off drilling one side as the body slipped in the drill press. Any follow on attempts, say I find a 4"-4.5" nipple, will have the body done on a lathe to keep the holes lined up. There are some 1/4" Male to Female extenders that would work with a 2 or 2.5" nipple ..........

Not counting the valve body and manifold, I have maybe $20-$25 into it for the CGA 540 nipples, nuts, a 7/16" drill, and the 1/4 npt tap. The J-60 valves ran me 24 to 30 each and I got the manifold years ago for free. Now I just need 2 more Luxifer 30 cubic foot aluminum tanks (got 1 already), tank bands, and a harness.
Double Hose Regulators, It not just a Hobby, it’s a Disease

Return to “Tanks and Valves”