macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Acquired an older WK LP72

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Acquired an older Walter Kidde LP72 with built-in feet (Ok..well not as old as some of the tanks posted here!) The original hydro looks to be from 72. It has a very odd valve on it, anyone recognize it? Due to it's shape it doesn't really fit my yoke regulators that well.

Does anyone have an REE number for one of these tanks?

I'm hoping to bring it in for hydro soon. I am also going to replace the valve with a rebuilt US Divers J-Valve.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Acquired an older WK LP72

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Welcome to the board.
A good many of the regulars are on the road to a big vintage event in Ohio this weekend so it may be next week before one of them has an answer for you.
In any case, interesting valve.
Herman

macado
Master Diver

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks Herman.

I'm just starting to get into vintage diving but my goal for a winter project is to hopefully restore a double hose regulator to it's full glory. Been browsing this forum for while for ideas.

Have a couple older single hose regs (Snark II and a couple older Calypo models).

Unfortunately no double hose regs have fallen into my hands yet but still hoping to find one or just bite the bullet and purchase one on eBay to restore.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 pm

That is one weird looking valve. I can’t say that I have ever seen one like it. I can see were some regulators would not work with it. It is very interesting.

I have calculated REE numbers for several PST and Norris tanks, but I have only done one Walter Kidde. The REE number for that one tank was seems to be 63.6 cc, which is a bit higher than the other tanks that I have done. I will double check that when I get back home. This is the data I have in my laptop computer.

In any case, the codes requires, either an REE calculated by the manufacturer, REE calculated for that specific cylinder (which requires measuring actual volume and wall thickness, or data from at least three tanks of the same type (same manufacturer and model). Therefore, I don’t know if the data I have would be enough for your hydro facility.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 pm

I just notice that you are not too far away. Maybe we can get together to dive some time. Do you ever dive at Nubble light?
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am

I wonder why the previous owner had the tank re-hydroed after just one year?

And yeah, that is an odd valve. Does it have a burst disk?

macado
Master Diver

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 am

Drado wrote:I wonder why the previous owner had the tank re-hydroed after just one year?

And yeah, that is an odd valve. Does it have a burst disk?
It does have an old style burst disc. I didnt even think to wonder why it was re-hydroed a year after, strange. The last hydro on it is from 84 and does not have a + rating though.

Tank was sitting with about 400psi. I haven't popped the valve off to look inside yet.

macado
Master Diver

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 am

luis wrote:I just notice that you are not too far away. Maybe we can get together to dive some time. Do you ever dive at Nubble light?
I've actually only dove Nubble once. Would love to go back up there. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I was reading some of your scubaboard posts regarding hydros and LP72s. Interesting stuff.

macado
Master Diver

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:22 pm

I finally have a little more free time on my hands so I'm going to open up this tank this weekend and check inside and put a new valve on it.

Assuming it looks good inside, would it make sense to strip/paint before sending it out for hydro? Either that or I was debating leaving it as is.

I was hoping to paint it the same yellow color and slap one of the Aqua Lung decals on it.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Seeing the Richards on the tank suggests it was probably sold by Richards Aqua lung Center on 42nd St in Manhattan.

http://www.skindivinghistory.com/mfg_re ... er/33.html
Captain

macado
Master Diver

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks captain. I did a little research on Richards. It also has a large Richard's Aqua-Lung tank decal on it. I'll take a picture of it. I wish I could save that decal if I painted the tank.

macado
Master Diver

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:27 pm

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 am

I see the sticker has the original breathing rule on it, "always exhale when rising in the water" rather than the current PADI "never hold your breath" rule.
Captain

Return to “Tanks and Valves”