cheeko8080
Lung Diver
First Name: Clint

US Divers tank valve stamp

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi,
So I was randomly taking a closer look at my 18cf US Divers tank from the early 60s (the one packaged with the Aqua-Div). I noticed something that struck me as more than odd and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. I searched the forum and also googled and couldn't find anything about this particular valve stamping. On the front side of the valve (right below the yoke opening) there is clearly a swastika stamped into it. The side of the valve says:
U.S. DIVERS
CO.
LOS ANGELES
CAL.
MADE IN U.S.A.
K

12-61

The tank itself has 2 hydro dates: 7/44 and 1/60
The tank is clearly war surplus. The body info reads:
ICC-3A1800
K62591X USGOVT
WK&CO
NONSHATTERABLE

So does anyone know why this tank would have a swastika? US Divers didn't buy German surplus valves for conversion to scuba did they? Other than that I can't imagine why this valve would have this on it.

Clint
WARNING: Double hose addiction imminent!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: US Divers tank valve stamp

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 am

Could you post some pictures?

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

cheeko8080
Lung Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Luis,
Absolutely....I hope these post properly...

The Bottle

The Tank Markings

The Valve Side Markings

The Valve Face Marking

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am

I have a Vigo Aqua Lung with a 3 - 59 date on it, but no markings that I recall on the valve like yours has.

What I'm seeing though, isn't a swastika, but a Hydro stamp. Just not sure why the dates are not on it. Is there a hydro stamp on your tank from after 1960? And does it match this pattern?

First thing after work though is I'm going to check my valve!!!
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

cheeko8080
Lung Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

The picture isn't amazing...so it may not be completely clear. The symbol may be a hydro stamp of some sort that I am unfamiliar with, but it is most definitely a very clear swastika so the hydro stamp would have to be using that symbol. I am not the most familiar with hydroing procedures but, do they stamp the valve when hydroing? I didn't think that they did. I'm including another picture of the hydro stamps on the tank. There is only the 2 stamps and neither includes this symbol.

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:37 am

You're absolutely correct, they normally do not stamp the valve, but after 1968(? don't quote me on that date.) every hydro outfit had to have an identifying stamp. Maybe a newbie of the day stamped it incorrctly.

Whatever it is, I'm sure this will become a long thread - WWII history and SCUBA - what a combo!

There was a link on SB that listed all the stamps had who they were from, I just checked and the link is no longer valid.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

cheeko8080
Lung Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Ah..interesting. So, does this hydro stamp usually appear right next to the hydro date? I am not at home to check my other tanks (all of which are modern tanks except for this little guy).

cheeko8080
Lung Diver

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 pm

I pulled out my macro lens today to get a better photo of the imprint...though it definitely made the depth of field in the photo very narrow to a point where it was difficult to get the whole symbol in focus, but I think it shows it much better than the last photo.

Clint

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 pm

That is an odd stamp. I think it is the mirror image of the German version (counter clockwise Vs clockwise).
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:40 am

cheeko8080 wrote:I pulled out my macro lens today to get a better photo of the imprint...though it definitely made the depth of field in the photo very narrow to a point where it was difficult to get the whole symbol in focus, but I think it shows it much better than the last photo.

Clint
HOLY COW!!!!!!

cheeko8080
Lung Diver

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Ahhh yes it is backwards...its like the Hindu and Buddhist swastika symbol. Interesting.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:21 pm

I think the tank was owned by Charles Manson at one time.

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:48 pm

OK, I won't sleep until this mystery is solved....
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Return to “Tanks and Valves”