Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Silver soldering DIY?

Sun May 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi all,

My 1954 doubles manifold is leaking from the solder joint where the nipple threads into the center section. I have soldered electronics components many times before, as I am sure many of us have in our endeavors. Can someone experienced walk me through how to fix my leaking doubles manifold? I have already used the search feature, and I have read some of Tom's posts about the fact that you can fix leaky manifolds. I would like to learn how. I have so many tanks with this type of setup that it would behoove me to learn how to fix them. Plus then I can assist the other guys (Tom, Pete) in repairing manifolds for people who run into trouble if they need help. I'm not trying to take anyone's side income from them. Also, I am used to soldering wires and components onto printed circuit boards, so any help with technique and soldering iron selection would help.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Silver soldering DIY?

Sun May 22, 2011 5:33 pm

You will need at least MAPP gas and stick silver solder...I don't think I have it in me to type it all out but I'll be glad to tell you how I do it next weekend at Sea Hunt....It's not difficult but like anything people that do it quite often make it look like art...Me not as much but I get it done. If have or know someone at work, or at drill or in the neighborhood that works in refrigeration they SHOULD have all the skills and supplies to make it happen.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun May 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Hard soldering requires higher temperatures right? So portable MAPP gas probably isn't hot enough, is it? Maybe I will just take it to a place. It's just that I have the doubles assembled, and now there is a TINY pin hole of bubbles coming from one of the solder joints on the center section of the manifold. Dang it.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

captain
Plank Owner

Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 pm

I think I found a better way. I did this on Rob's triple manifold. First it is common low temp solder that was used originally. I heated it enough to completely remove the nipples from the center post. I used a 1/4" pipe tap and die to clean off excess solder from the threads and used JB weld epoxy on the threads rather than re-solder them. As far as I know Rob hasn't had a problem.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun May 22, 2011 11:02 pm

captain wrote:I think I found a better way. I did this on Rob's triple manifold. First it is common low temp solder that was used originally. I heated it enough to completely remove the nipples from the center post. I used a 1/4" pipe tap and die to clean off excess solder from the threads and used JB weld epoxy on the threads rather than re-solder them. As far as I know Rob hasn't had a problem.
I vote for this....Plus JB is easy to smooooth out and would look good.

I'm surprised that low temp solder was used....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun May 22, 2011 11:21 pm

captain wrote:I think I found a better way. I did this on Rob's triple manifold. First it is common low temp solder that was used originally. I heated it enough to completely remove the nipples from the center post. I used a 1/4" pipe tap and die to clean off excess solder from the threads and used JB weld epoxy on the threads rather than re-solder them. As far as I know Rob hasn't had a problem.
That's good to know... I have a similar issue with an old manifold that I nearly threw out because of a pinhole leak. I used to think they were silver-soldered or something similar that would be more difficult to repair. Thanks for the info on what sounds like a relatively easy fix! Come to think of it, I guess I could try just heating to the melting point and maybe adding a little solder. Complete removal would still be available as the next option if that didn't work out.
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 am

The heat and re-solder didn't work. I think contaminants get into the pin holes making it impossible to close it up. It would have to be disassembled and cleaned first before re soldering and the JB weld is easier and more likely to seal.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon May 23, 2011 6:54 pm

captain wrote:The heat and re-solder didn't work. I think contaminants get into the pin holes making it impossible to close it up. It would have to be disassembled and cleaned first before re soldering and the JB weld is easier and more likely to seal.
I'll gladly benefit from your experience and go for the JB Weld. Thanks for the advice!
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”