Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: "Build Your Own Diving Lung", Revisited in 2018

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 am

Yesterday I had a troublesome setback with a leaking HP seat. Seats for 1942 model Bendix Oxygen regulators aren't generally available at your local dive boutique... but that won't keep me from going in with the reg and harassing them anyway.

Pulled the first stage apart and found that the fairly soft cone-shaped seating surface had been nicked by some little unidentifiable metal particle, but luckily the brass orifice appeared undamaged. The seat is odd-shaped and not readily resurfaced the way we do flat-faced ones from early Aqualung type regs. I was faced with attempting a repair with my little Unimat mini-lathe that I keep tucked on a shelf under my larger unit. I would have to remove several thousandths to reshape the cone, preserving the correct angles and hoping I didn't totally destroy it. Having to make a whole new one from scratch would be really challenging considering my limited machinist skills, so I was pretty worried about the whole situation. I could just see this whole pet project crumbling around me, but then confidence was bolstered somewhat by remembering the words of a wise friend: "Don't borrow trouble before it happens!"
49.poppet repair 1.JPG
Working slowly I removed about 0.0005" at a time until the flaw was no longer visible, then used a small strip of 600 paper over the tool edge to polish the tiny cone slightly. Next step was modifying a modern reg inlet filter to fit into the Bendix inlet, hoping that would help prevent a debris particle from ever reaching the seat again. That was easy.

Reassembled the first stage and the pressure is now holding perfectly, so I'll be going diving with this rig as soon as time and weather permit. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:04 am

Bill, I bow my head in reverence and submission to your all knowing regulator aptitude. I am humbled by your brilliance. Keep up the great work and don't let a homemade 1940's scuba unit get the better of you! Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:35 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:04 am
Bill, I bow my head in reverence and submission to your all knowing regulator aptitude. I am humbled by your brilliance. Keep up the great work and don't let a homemade 1940's scuba unit get the better of you! Mark

Thank you, Mark! I've sorta been flying into the wild blue unknown here, but I'm learning a lot. Most importantly, I'm having more fun with this project than I imagined, and have been intentionally stringing it out over several months for that reason. I am determined not to let it get the best of me, and I fully plan to tame this beast, but we will see about that when I get back in the water for a few more dives.

I already see a future small and simple external add-on that may be helpful in improving air flow for deeper diving. Wow, Deeper with this thing? :roll: Proves I may be a little off my buoyancy. :?

I appreciate your interest in following this project!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Wow, I certainly would see that as a daunting task well above my skill levels! I am sure I speak for many Bill. This thread is really interesting! Thanks for posting the updates! :)

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:17 am

swimjim wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 pm
Wow, I certainly would see that as a daunting task well above my skill levels! I am sure I speak for many Bill. This thread is really interesting! Thanks for posting the updates! :)
Jim, thank you for your interest and following along with the thread. Your support is always appreciated. :D

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm

I am attempting to follow the thread think your are talking about Dive Gear when that really looks like the acrylic cylinder for a revolver..... Is this the non magnetic/ non xray type dive gear? wink wink..... Be glad you are in Texas not California

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:26 pm

h2operations wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm
I am attempting to follow the thread think your are talking about Dive Gear when that really looks like the acrylic cylinder for a revolver..... Is this the non magnetic/ non xray type dive gear? wink wink..... Be glad you are in Texas not California
That seat (or poppet... call it what you will) does look just like a miniature revolver cylinder. No problem in Texas, but I might get some flak in CA for carrying a 3 mm six breath air shooter. Hmm, maybe shouldn't have posted that photo. The feds might be looking.

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Latest configuration with homemade harness and repaired HP seat is ready for the first open water dive at a nearby lake. Hoping for next week if work will stay off my back for a while and weather cooperates.

I turned the valve outlet to left instead of its original location to the right so that the connecting CGA-346 adapter and HP hose gives a little protection to the exhaling valve.
53.back view.JPG
54.valve area.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:02 pm

You're a wild man Bill ! :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Somebody had to do it.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Finally got my Diving Lung to the lake for the acid test on Thursday. Wheeler-Branch Reservoir in Glen Rose, Texas, is a peaceful place on weekdays, and on this day there were no other divers around. Perfect for my first open water dive with the Lung. Solo dive, with Francie taking topside photos.

Note that Texas divers have never really taken to the red knit watch caps (a la Cousteau), preferring the extra shade seen here as I carry my rig to the water.
55.BT lake.JPG

This is as close as we get to having Kelp forests:
56.Texas Kelp.JPG

Back to the vehicle for my trusty 50's depth gauge. I love my Hydroglove, and it looks the part for early 1950's Vintage diving:
57.BT geared up.JPG

More about the dive coming up soon.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Bail out bottle? Really Bill? I trust your contraption with your life - no problem.

In all seriousness, you look marvelous!

Mark

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:27 pm

So you got pictures and your still with us... How'd it go Bill???

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you ScubaLawyer and Swimjim for your continued support and interest. You guys have been great friends! :D

Mark, I may be wild, but I'm not totally crazy, so the redundant air supply was a comfort as I plumbed the unknown depths of the great inland Sea of Glen Rose with a 1942 High Altitude regulator. Who knows what creatures lurk there? After all, this rocky valley is world famous for it's abundant variety of dinosaur footprints and fossils. Maybe a Loch Glen Rose monster still prowls under the ancient waters. :shock:

Jim, I was just trying to keep you in suspense a little longer, and was waiting to see who would ask that question first. 8) Hoping it would be you. :lol:

I hope to have some time later tonight to tell more of the story and put in a few more photos. News at 10.... Keep wondering until then!

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Yarrrgh, so your still workin on spinnin the yarn are ye?? Lol. Looking forward to it!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”