Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

hole in hose

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 am

Would a hole in the breathing hose cause an intermittent free flow?

HMMMMMMM..... What bugs me, if it is the culprit, is that I looked for a hole in hose!
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: hole in hose

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:22 am

Dang, what caused it?

I guess it would be a wet breather :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 am

Looks like a good candidate for an exhaust hose to me.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 am

No, I doubt it would, but as swimjim said put a bit of wet suit cement on it and move it to the exhaust side.

That is a common place for holes to happen. The hose get pinched and cut against the edge of the metal nozzle. Every hole I have had has been in the same place on either the inhalation or exhaust hose.
Captain

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:32 am

The difference in pressure between the hole and the diaphragm would cause the demand valve to release air, if the hole was at a higher position underwater. I would recommend that you replace the entire hose set, as this is a life support item. Should You decide to keep the hose in service and repair it, switch hoses so the breathing hose is not one which has a repair.

Not all hoses come from the factory like they should either. I bought a new condition Siebe Gorman Mistral, and found the wall thickness of one of the hoses was very thin indeed. The hoses were clearly original, but faulty. I replaced them with facsimile hoses. Your life and the life of others is far too precious to risk over the cost of a new hose. Just my thoughts, Steve

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”