vintagemike6
Lung Diver

DIVE

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:40 am

Dive: The Complete Book of Skin Diving, Rick & Barbara Carrier 1955
going through my library last night and looked through this book again. a great classic early book on skin and scuba diving. the hand sketches of equipment are great. lots of do it your self stuff in it too. every vintage libary should have a copy. it is not a rare book and i believe there were several editions printed. 8)
Spotlights..sirens..rifles..
it must be time for a jailbreak
Bon Scott-1976

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: DIVE

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 am

I agree about the status of this book in the annals of diving literature. I have both editions, 1955 and 1963. Some early diving books have narrative content, which is fine if you are looking for reading matter of an autobiographical nature, but I have a greater interest in the history of diving equipment and I value pictures and descriptions of period gear. My two editions of "Dive" provide me with both.

The part of these books that attracts my greatest interest at the moment is the appendix. The 1955 edition's appendix provides an unillustrated "equipment listing" with thematic headings, e.g. "Fins and Sets", "Masks, Goggles and Froggles". The "Diving Suits" section is particularly interesting for me as that's my research focus in the history of diving equipment. The stock number and price of each item is documented. The 1963 edition's appendix is subtitled "New Equipment" and has many photographs of masks, fins, snorkels, wetsuits and regulators.

"Dive" isn't the only work of diving literature with interesting appendices. Other books of the 1950s and 1960s had lists of clubs and gear now of interest to the diving historian and a few had advertisements for long-gone diving equipment companies.

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”