capn_tucker
Master Diver

1952 US Navy Dive Tables

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:23 am

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 1952 tables? I would just like to compare the differences between them and the 1958 tables. These are also of interest because they were the ones in use during the Sea Hunt era..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Hmm, can anyone tell me a book title (other than the US Navy Diving Manual) that would have these early tables in it? Anyone?

eskimo3883
Master Diver

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi,

I am guessing you have 1958 tables from Robert's “Basic Scuba”. I was reading “The Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann (1992). He says the first US Navy tables emerged in 1915 based on Haldanian concept and revised them in 1937. They were designed for Hard hat diving. The US Navy revised these in 1957 and he states the tables designed in 1957 (and labeled 1958) exist today (as of 1992) in the US Navy Dive Manual. In his book he lists the entire Navy tables down to 300 feet. He speaks to the percentage of divers that will be bent using these tables to point out the use of other tables built with more margin of safety. He covers quite a bit on problems at depth and this book also has about every table you could think of including tables for altitude.
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Yes, I've got the 1958 tables in both Basic Scuba and the 1962 New Science of Skin Diving. Basic Scuba refers to the 1952 tables, but does not have a copy of them.. :(
I can't find a copy of the 1952 Navy Diving Manual; maybe I can find some pre-57 diving book that will have the early tables in it..

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 am

capn_tucker wrote:Yes, I've got the 1958 tables in both Basic Scuba and the 1962 New Science of Skin Diving. Basic Scuba refers to the 1952 tables, but does not have a copy of them.. :(
I can't find a copy of the 1952 Navy Diving Manual; maybe I can find some pre-57 diving book that will have the early tables in it..
Finally! Got a copy of the 1955 book "Dive" by Rick & Barbara Carrier. It does have the '52 tables in it. Man, talk about some conservative tables! It recommends only 1 dive in a 6 hour period, and if you do make repetitive dives you have to add them all together, and decompress accordingly.
I wouldn't care to use these tables, but they're still some neat diving history, and are the tables that Lloyd Bridges recommends on his "Hear How to Skin Dive" record. He says "There are new tables that give credit for rest periods, but they are too complicated, and to stick with the old rule".. :)

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”