YankDownUnder
Master Diver

"Those old double hosers are dangerous...."

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Sometimes you come across divers who are short on knowledge and very quick to share the fact. In reply you might share what you see in the link below. The link is the Cousteau crew diving on the wreck of the Britannic, sister ship to Titanic. And guess what.... they are diving with La Spirotechnique single stage, double hose Royal Mistrals. They are diving at two hundred and forty feet using triple tanks, probably aluminum 88s. If you look closely you will see extended hoses on the deep rigs. This is the full 1977 episode and runs about 50 minutes. I hope you enjoy it.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNJgDiygbc

Steve

vintagemike6
Lung Diver

Re: "Those old double hosers are dangerous...."

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm

absolute classic film!!! :D calypso divers breathing that magic gas "trimix". thanks for posting the link, steve 8)
Spotlights..sirens..rifles..
it must be time for a jailbreak
Bon Scott-1976

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Great episode and ultra streamlined VDH gear....show essentially all you need.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:43 am

That was a great video. 380 FT !!! And Capt. Cousteau did it as a not so young man.

What was with the MIstral they were using though? It seems the front can was turned sideways(120 degreess counter-clockwise). This would run the intake hose over the left shoulder and exhaust over the right shoulder. Was there a reason for this? I've checked a few Royal Mistral pictures and the label is definately facing down and to the right.

I wonder if this is becuase of the triples manifold - this arrangement allows for reaching up and un-fowling the intake hose.. If anyone has an answer, I'm curious.

Thanks for posting the video.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for posting this classic. It was only the other day I had a dive shop owner try to tell me that JYC did this dive on air. JYC wasn't young when he did this dive and at first I thought he had a scooter, but its a monster of a camera. I wouldn't like to drag that around at 375 feet.

Return to “General Discussions”